What is my website's root directory in my cPanel hosting account?
The root directory of your website is the content that loads when visitors access your domain name in a Web browser. The most obvious consequence of this is that you need to put your "index file" in your website's root directory for visitors to see your site at all.
Website-related applications might also need to know your website's root directory.
Your website's root directory depends on whether the domain name is your primary domain name or another type.
- Your primary domain name's root directory is
- Addon and subdomain names' root directories were specified when they were set up. You can find them listed in cPanel by using the steps below:
- Log in to your GoDaddy account.
- Click Web Hosting.
- Next to the cPanel account you want to use, click Manage.
- Click cPanel Admin.
- In the Domains section, click either Subdomains or Addon Domains, depending on the type of domain you're using.
The root directory displays in the Document Root field.