What are privacy laws?
You've heard the acronyms and seen plenty of articles about CCPA and GDPR on the internet, but what are they really? Privacy regulation affords certain rights to people and imposes obligations on companies that do business with them. Our goal is to provide our customers a consistent and world-class privacy experience no matter where they live, so here's our take on those rights and obligations in our own words.
- Transparency or the right for individuals to know what is happening with their personal data
- Consent or the right for individuals to choose what personal data is collected about them and to change that choice
- Update and Erasure or the right for individuals to update or request deletion of their personal data
- Portability or the right for individuals to request a machine readable copy of their personal data
- Due Care requires that companies safeguard personal data
- Minimization requires that companies only collect personal data that is necessary for its intended purpose
- Privacy by Design requires that companies analyze what risks affect personal data and work to minimize those risks
- Notification requires that authorities are notified timely of any data breaches that affect personal data
Want to know more?
Personal data is defined as any information that can be used to directly or indirectly identify a person. It can be anything from a name, an email address, bank details, medical information, or a computer IP address. GoDaddy protects the security of our customers' personal data and provides features that enable our customers to exercise their privacy rights.
If you have a business and use our products to collect, use, store or share personal data, privacy regulations may also apply to you. Use the links below to learn more about features you can use within your product to enable compliance. Keep in mind that this page is not meant as legal advice and is not an exhaustive list of requirements. To determine exactly what is required of your business to ensure your compliance with privacy laws, it is best to speak to your lawyers!
- Website Builder Privacy frequently asked questions
- Add website cookie alert for GDPR