Registering Domain Names
Note: To register a domain name NOW, please visit our Domain Name Search page.
Registering a domain name builds your credibility on the Internet. Use domain names to support your business and assist in creating a dynamic online presence. Your domain name establishes your online identity and increases branding, marketing and communication opportunities. Register multiple domain names to:
- Keep your competition from registering a domain name that draws customers away from you.
- Promote the products and services you offer.
- Drive more traffic to your website.
- Enjoy more opportunities to market to — and be listed on — search engines.
- Create distinct advertising strategies to reach different target markets.
- Provide customers more ways to find you on the Internet.
- Capture common misspellings of your domain name, instead of sending visitors to an error page.
- Protect your brand and online identity from unsavory parties.
To get started, check to see if the domain name you want is available. If available, register the domain name for a period of time you specify during the checkout process.
To Check a Domain Name's Availability
- Go to our Home Page.
- In the Domain Name Search field, enter the domain name you want to register, and then select the domain name extension from the list.
- Click GO.
If the domain name you requested is already registered, we provide available alternatives. For example, you might be able to select a .info or .ws domain extension, rather than .com. Or you could register www.coolexample.info instead of www.coolexample.com.
If the domain name is available, follow the instructions to complete the checkout process. Be sure to include valid contact information for each contact. The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), the governing body for domain names, requires valid contact information (registrant, technical, billing, and administrative). If you enter false information, your domain name can be canceled.
Your contact information is public and accessible through the Whois database at most registrars. However, you can protect your privacy by registering your domain name with us using our private domain name registration services.
When you purchase private domain name registration, the Whois database lists the name of our privacy affiliate company, as well as their postal address and phone number — instead of your personal contact information. For more information about domain privacy, see Private Registration FAQ.