Registering a .fr domain
Who can register .fr domain names?
Individuals and companies located in France or who use a trustee service (which GoDaddy can provide) can register .fr domain names.
You can register a domain name that contains letters (a-z), numbers (0-9), and the hyphen (-). The domain name cannot begin or end with a hyphen, and it cannot begin with "xn--". The domain name length must be between three and 63 characters in length.
Domain names can be up to 63 characters, with a minimum of three characters, and can contain letters (a to z), numbers (0 to 9), and hyphens (except as the first or last characters of the domain name). You cannot register domain names with special characters such as & and #. We support French IDNs (Internationalized Domain Names).
Note: You cannot register a .fr domain name if it includes the name of a city in France. For instance, coolexampleparis.fr is not allowed to be registered and will show up as not available when checking out.
To Register .fr Domain Names
- On the GoDaddy home page, in the New Domain search field, enter the domain name.
- Select .fr from the list, click Go, and then proceed through the screens to complete your purchase.
- For individuals, a birthdate and country of birth are required. If your country of birth is France, you must also provide your birth city name and postal code.
- For associations located in France, you must provide one of the following:
- The Waldec ID
- The organization date, publication date, announcement number, and announcement page number of the official gazette.
- For companies, either a valid Trademark or SIREN/SIRET number is required.
- If you do not meet the residency requirements, we automatically charge you a trustee vendor fee of $29.99 per year. The trustee helps you meet the residency requirement and is a third-party vendor. If someone contacts the trustee with an issue regarding your domain name, the trustee contacts us, and then we contact you.
Note: If you do not successfully register your domain name, the trustee fee is refundable. This fee is NOT, however, refundable upon renewal of the domain.
Note: Your newly registered domain name displays in the Domain Manager with a Pending Registration status. Please allow up to 48 business hours for the registration to complete and for the domain name to display as Active in your account.
For more detailed information on .fr domains, see About .fr Domains.