Manually install an SSL certificate on my Apache server (Ubuntu)
Not the right server type? Go back to the list of installation instructions.
After your certificate request is approved, you can download your certificate from the SSL manager and install it on your Apache server. If your server is running CentOS instead of Ubuntu, please see Manually install an SSL certificate on my Apache server (CentOS).
- Find the directory on your server where certificate and key files are stored, then upload your intermediate certificate (
gd_bundle.crtor similar) and primary certificate (
.crtfile with randomized name) into that folder.
- For security, you should make these files readable by root only.
- Find your Apache configuration file.
- On default configurations, you can find a file named
- If you have configured your server differently, you may be able to find the file with the following command:
/etc/apache2/may be replaced with the base directory of your Apache installation.
- Open this file with your favorite text editor.
- Inside your
apache2.conffile, find the < VirtualHost > block.
- To have your site available on both secure (https) and non-secure (http) connections, make a copy of this block and paste it directly below the existing < VirtualHost > block.
- You can now customize this copy of the < VirtualHost > block for secure connections. Here is an example configuration:
- Don't forget the added
443port at the end of your server IP.
- DocumentRoot and ServerName should match your original < VirtualHost > block.
- The remaining
/path/to/...file locations can be replaced with your custom directory and file names.
- First, run the following command to check your Apache configuration file for errors:
- Confirm that the test returns a Syntax OK response. If it does not, review your configuration files.
- After confirming a Syntax OK response, run the following command to restart Apache:
grep -i -r "SSLCertificateFile" /etc/apache2/
<VirtualHost xxx.xxx.x.x:443> DocumentRoot /var/www/coolexample ServerName coolexample.com www.coolexample.com SSLEngine on SSLCertificateFile /path/to/coolexample.crt SSLCertificateKeyFile /path/to/privatekey.key SSLCertificateChainFile /path/to/intermediate.crt </VirtualHost>
Warning: The Apache service will not start again if your config files have syntax errors.
Note: As a courtesy, we provide information about how to use certain third-party products, but we do not endorse or directly support third-party products and we are not responsible for the functions or reliability of such products. Third-party marks and logos are registered trademarks of their respective owners. All rights reserved.