Find and replace for WordPress with a text editor
You can replace data within a database, such as the domain name, by exporting it as an SQL file and doing a "Find & Replace" with a text editor.
- Export your WordPress Database.
Warning: Make two exports and keep one as a backup in the event you need to restore to the original state.
- Open the .sql file in a text editor, such as Notepad++ or Sublime Text.
- Access the 'Find & Replace' feature in the text editor (usually Ctrl + F).
- Enter the domain/data you want to replace in the Find field (or respective field).
- Enter your new domain/data in Replace field (or respective field).
- Run the 'Find & Replace'.
- Save the updated .sql file.
- Before importing the .sql file, you must drop the tables in your database.
- Import your database.
Your WordPress site will now be updated to use the new domain or data.
- If you're using this process to change your domain name, then you may also need to update the domain on your hosting account. Find how to update the domain on Linux Hosting with cPanel, Windows Hosting with Plesk or Managed WordPress.