Add an HTTPS record
Increase security and reduce page load times on your website by adding an HTTPS record to your DNS zone file. Every time you load a web page in your browser, the browser goes through a series of checks to determine what service protocol it should use to load the page, either http:// or https://. HTTPS records explicitly tell the browser to make the connection over HTTPS, removing the extra checks upfront and helping pages load faster.
- Sign in to your GoDaddy Domain Portfolio. (Need help logging in? Find your username or password.)
- Select an individual domain to access the Domain Settings page.
- Select DNS to view your DNS records.
- Select Add New Record and then select HTTPS from the Type menu.
- Enter the details for your new HTTPS record.
- Name: The hostname or prefix of the record, without the domain name. Enter @ to put the record on your root domain, or enter a prefix, such as www.
- Priority: The priority is always set to 0 because we currently only support HTTPS records in Alias mode.
- Value: Enter a domain name the HTTPS record will point to.
- TTL (Time to Live): The amount of time the server should cache information before refreshing. The default setting is 1 hour.
- (Optional) Select Add More Records to add multiple DNS records at the same time. If you change your mind, select Delete to remove any records that haven't been saved yet.
- Select Save to add your new record. If you added multiple records at the same time, select Save All Records.
- If your domain has Domain Protection, you'll need to verify your identity. If you've had 2-step verification (2SV) turned on for at least 24 hours, enter the code we sent via SMS, or enter the code from your authenticator app. Otherwise, enter the one-time password we sent to your registrant email address.
Most DNS updates take effect within an hour but could take up to 48 hours to update globally.
- Edit an existing HTTPS record if you need to make any changes.
- Create a DNS template to quickly apply DNS records to your domains.
- Get started with professional email and stay connected to your community.