Add an A record
Connect your domain to your website by adding an A record to your DNS zone file when your domain is using GoDaddy nameservers. A records, or address records, are the most fundamental type of DNS record and are used to indicate the IP address of a domain. The most common A record is for the root domain, like mycoolnewbusiness.com, and typically connects the domain to a hosting account.
A records are also used to create subdomains that connects to an IP address, such as blog.mycoolnewbusiness.com. If you need a subdomain that connects to another domain, you'll need to add a CNAME record instead.
- Sign in to your GoDaddy Domain Portfolio. (Need help logging in? Find your username or password.)
- Select Domain Edit Options next to your domain and then select Edit DNS. You may need to scroll down to see Edit DNS.
- Select Add New Record.
- Select A from the Type menu.
- Enter the details for your new A record:
- Name: The hostname or prefix of the A record, without the domain name. Enter @ to put the record on your root domain, or enter a prefix, such as blog or shop, to create a subdomain that points to an IP address.
- Value: The IP address the record corresponds to. This is commonly the IP address for a hosting account.
- Select Add another value to add more IP addresses to this record.
- TTL (Time to Live): The amount of time the server should cache information before refreshing. The default setting is 1 hour.
- (Optional) Select Add More Records to add multiple DNS records at the same time. If you change your mind, select Delete to remove any records that haven't been saved yet.
- Select Save to add your new record. If you added multiple records at the same time, select Save All Records.
Most DNS changes take effect within an hour but could take up to 48 hours to update globally.
- Edit an existing A record or delete DNS records you no longer need.
- Create a new site with Websites + Marketing and get connected with professional email.
- Turn on auto-renew to continue your domain registration uninterrupted.
- Set up 2-step verification for the best security on your domains and account.