About .LAW Domain Names
GoDaddy Registry is the sponsor and backend provider for the .LAW extension.
Who can register .LAW domains?
The .LAW domain name is restricted to qualified lawyers and authorized legal institutions that meet the domain’s eligibility policy. Eligible registrants include:
- Qualified Lawyers: This varies depending on the region, but generally qualified lawyers pass a bar exam or obtain a license, and then maintain their practice.
- Law Firms: These are comprised of qualified lawyers. The .LAW domain name isn’t available to support services such as paralegals or transcriptionists.
- Courts of Law: These are governmental organizations established by law to settle disputes between parties or administer justice in criminal proceedings.
- Legal Regulators: These organizations, such as bar associations in many countries, are established by law to regulate individuals and organizations providing legal services.
- Law Schools: These institutions are approved by legal regulators to educate individuals seeking to become qualified lawyers.
Verification of eligibility is an ongoing effort maintained by the registry for .LAW.
When registering a .LAW domain, you must follow specific requirements.
- Must use: 1-63 characters
- Can use: Letters (a-z characters), numbers (0-9) and hyphens (except in the 3rd or 4th characters of the domain name)
- Cannot use: Special characters (e.g., & and #)
- IDNs: Supported
- Registration length: 1-10 years
- Renewal length: 1-10 years
- If you have auto-renew enabled, we’ll attempt to charge the associated payment method and renew your .LAW domain on its expiration date.
- If auto-renew fails or isn't enabled at all, we’ll park your .LAW domain. A parked domain will display a temporary web page when the domain name is entered in a web browser.
- If the domain isn't manually renewed within 40 days following expiration, we cancel it and remove it from your account.
- Backorders: Not supported
- Transfers to GoDaddy: Supported
- Transfers away from GoDaddy: Supported
- Transfers to another GoDaddy account: Supported
- Basic privacy protection: Not Supported
- Protection plan upgrades: Not Supported
- CashParking: Supported
- Contact updates: Supported
For details on refunds, see our refund policy. Most domains will follow the Standard Refund Terms, but certain domains may have exceptions or may not be refundable at all. Review the information under Products with Special Refund Terms, and then cancel Domain Name Registrations/Renewals and Products Not Eligible for Refunds.
- Must use: 1-13 nameservers
- Can use: DNSSEC, IPv4, IPV6