Getting Started

File browseable, but does not exist on server

Hello --

I have a confusing issue... I need to remove a file from the web, but it doesn't exist on the server. However, navigating to it via Google Search/Direct URL link still brings it up. When I navigate using the built in Hosting File Browser to where the file is (using the URL as my guide) the file doesn't exist.

I'm at a complete loss on how it's view-able when it doesn't exist.

Note: 

Web-browser cache is cleared. (Used 4 browsers: Edge, Chrome, Mozilla, Brave -- and their private variations). I also cleared the website cache using the built-in tools. The file does not exist anywhere on the server that I can find.

Can anyone offer any ideas?!

Super User IV

@dtsolasray 

Can you provide the URL that you are having an issue with - it could be a permissions / ownership issue or something else.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Thanks for the reply.

The specific link is: 

http://solasray.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/AL-347-480-CS-9.29.15.pdf

I've confirmed it's somehow cached on the server (using 

http://solasray.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/AL-347-480-CS-9.29.15.pdf?nocache=1 proves this)

I've cleared the cache via the "Flush Cache" at the top of the WP-admin portal in the Manage Wordpress pull down... I've also SSH'd into the console and manually did a 'wp cache flush', but it is still showing.

I've also called GoDaddy support, and they had a level 2 do the same thing, but still the problem persists.

I've confirmed that the file isn't there in the CLI console as well as the file browser available on their webpage UI. Permissions all appear fine.

@dtsolasray 

I just went to the link both ways and get a 404 error - perhaps it was a local cache issue.

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Employee

The CDN seems to have removed it. But for some reason, the file still remains locally possible as a hidden file. 

Example is I can pull a zip off the CDN but not that file you have in question. 
https://secureservercdn.net/184.168.47.225/1ba.55d.myftpupload.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Low-Ba...

I'm seeing the same thing with the CDN... But, it's not locally on the server. SFTP'd into the server and the file isn't there. I've also used the web-ui file browser (making sure to toggle 'show hidden files') and it's not there. I've run a search using SFTP w/FileZilla, and the file isn't found anywhere on the home directory.

It's weird, because sometimes I can view it, and sometimes it does what I expect and shows me a 404 error.

@dtsolasray 

This is strange as now I got to the PDF whereas the other day I got the error page...

If you'd like to private message me I can go in via SSH (terminal) to see perhaps it's there but not showing due to ownership issues

For somewhat obvious reasons, I'm not exactly comfortable giving my SSH login information out to non-godaddy employee's, but I greatly appreciate the offer. If you give me an idea of what you're looking for, I can easily accomplish it. 

This server is a Managed Wordpress server -- so I don't have "root" access to it. The HTML directory, wp-content directory, and so on, does have my SSH user listed as the root user.

@dtsolasray 

What I was trying to see if you go to the uploads directory (specifically where the file is) - if you see it in SSH - it's possible that you could see it here but not in the other interfaces

I understand.

In an earlier post I had mentioned I logged in via SSH and did a cache clear. I forgot to mention I also checked the directory at that time. The file is not present.

I also searched the entire HTML directory, via Linux Shell in SSH, for all " *.pdf ", and it's not present.

(I.e. find /home/<my user name>/html/wp-content/uploads -name "*.pdf" )

@dtsolasray 

Very Strange - I don't see this as a cache issue, but rather a permission / ownership issue. 

Can you do a screen shot of the folder - also I can never remember if the find does a recursive search or just in the folder you are in.

I know what you mean. It's one of the strangest things I've seen.

I know the Web Dev. who upkeeps and maintains the content of the site had to do a recovery (File & Database recovery) because they crashed the wordpress and it was unrecoverable. I could definitely see some kind of tomfoolery happening because of this process.

I called GoDaddy before creating this thread to work through this with them, and was escalated. They told me they thought it was cacheing, and that they didn't see anything server side either.

Find searches in all directories and sub-directories from where you start. If you want to start in the directory you're currently in, you use a period. (I.e find . -name "*.pdf")

dtsolasray_1-1576792682840.png

(https://i.imgur.com/eYV4Ww1.png)

eYV4Ww1

Also, it's not in any of the *.zip files -- I've checked.

@dtsolasray 

What if you do an "ll *.pdf" or an "ls -a *.pdf"

Only the one file, which you can see in the screen shot above.

dtsolasray_0-1576797951807.png

@dtsolasray 

This makes absolutely no sense then - did you try the "reset file permissions" under the tools menu - I know that has fixed the recent issue with updating Twenty Twenty

I had not.

Just gave it a whirl - still nothing.

I'm honestly beyond stumped.