cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

cPanel Forwarding started sending Bounce notifications

Hi, hoping someone has some ideas here.  After confirming everything on my side, and spending 3 hours on chat, I'm nowhere new.

I have several forwarders set up on my domain.  Forwarders for an address with an actual account behind it work as expected.  But for the past couple days, forwarders for an alias email address have started sending a bounce notification to the sender (in addition to forwarding the message.)  Also, after quite a bit of testing, it appears that this only occurs if the originating email account is on my server.  So fortunately it doesn't seem to affect email from outside, but on internal emails it's a pain.

Example:  jessie@domain.com does not have an account.  A forwarder is set up sending to me@domain.com.  If I send a message from you@domain.com to jessie@domain.com, me@domain.com receives the message and you@domain.com receives a bounce stating that there's no such user.

Example:  todd@domain.com has an account, with a forwarder to me@domain.com.  If I send a message from you@domain.com to todd@domain.com, all is right with the world.

This is new behavior; it was first reported to me yesterday morning.  I've tried deleting and recreating the forwards; no luck.  I tried support, to no avail.  Hoping someone can offer advice.  The supervisor told me to have a developer fix it, but since the cPanel system files don't appear to be in my home directory I think this is non-helpful advice.

As an aside, do a lot of people use cPanel email?  Every time I've had an issue with it, GoDaddy support says they don't support it and try to steer me to the $5/mo/user Work mail plan along with dire warnings and predictions that it will go away because it can't use DKIM etc.  I mostly chalk it up to an aggressive up-sell.  Thoughts?

pksimmang
I'm a mix of guru and newbie
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

To @PL281 and anyone else who might want to know how it turned out:  Not as well as I'd hoped.  After GD Support replicated the problem and put in a trouble ticket, the response boiled down to "We can't replicate your problem" and "We have decided to no longer offer general email support to ensure the best possible experience for you and our other customers." 

I did come up with a workaround.  Since the bounce notification issue was only for aliases with no matching email user, I created email accounts for each of the aliases that were affected.  It worked like a charm:  sending a test before creating an account triggered a bounce; sending a test right after creating the account did not.  This means I'll have to go in and empty the accounts periodically, but that beats receiving a bounce message each time I send an email to one of those addresses.

pksimmang

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Super User IV

@pksimmang 

What is your actual domain and did you check and make sure your email is set to Local Delivery

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

@PL281, thanks for the reply.

The domain is simmang.com.  Most of the example addresses are fictitious though. 😉  Routing is set to "Automatically Detect Configuration : Local (recommended)".  Support tried changing it to "Remote Mail Exchanger", which broke my email until putting it back.

If it's helpful info, email is otherwise working normally... send, receive, the whole bit.  It's just started adding the bounce notification in addition to forwarding under the conditions I described. 

pksimmang

@pksimmang 

So your DNS looks great - I just sent a test message to jessie@ and it didn't bounce - is it only bouncing when you are sending within the domain??

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

@PL281  Message was received.  Yes, it's only bouncing if the message originates from my domain.

pksimmang

@pksimmang 

Can you post the error message you are getting I'd like to see the full error / numbers.

So just to confirm - jessie@ "forwards" to me@ (mailbox)

If you send an email to jessie@ from you@ (mailbox) this generates the bounce message

@PL281  yes, that's correct.  With the clarification that it's not just when you@ sends the message, but any other user that I've tested on the domain.  

I'm unable to post the entire bounce message since a "Post Flooding" warning keeps stopping me.  But it says that the error is permanent because there's no such person at this address.  It ends with a status of 5.0.0 followed by the quoted message.  Honestly, it looks exactly like a standard bounce message.

If this doesn't give you enough info, I could send you the entire headers via DM.  I just didn't want to do that unsolicited.

Best regards!

pksimmang

@pksimmang 

Feel free to reply to my test email with that - very strange - and just to double check if you try to email from me@ to you@ - mailbox to mailbox it works fine??

@PL281 

Sent.  And yes, no issues from mailbox to mailbox.  Not even if the receiving mailbox also has a forwarder set up.  

Yeah, it's weird.  If I had just set it up for the first time, I would assume that the program is buggy.  But this forwarder has been in place for a couple of years before it started doing this in the last day or so.

pksimmang

@pksimmang 

Ok I just tested this on one of the cPanel accounts I have access to and it worked as expect - In the lower left it shows as 86.0.24 are you seeing the same version??

I did test@ (mailbox)  and test2@ (mailbox) and test3@ (forward to test2)

I sent and email from test -> test2 and from test -> test3 and both were in the inbox for test2 without issue

While I don't think this should matter - if you  go into the zone editor in cPanel do you have an entry for your domain??

Confirming 86.0.24.

Zone editor does show an entry for my domain.  Class IN, Type MX, Priority 0 and destination my domain.

Since we're talking versions and environments, My server's IP address is 107.180.0.104.  Are you running on the same one?  Or would we not be able to tell due to network magic?  I still think it's something deep within the server, so I'm hoping that we can find a difference between my domain and your test.

pksimmang

@pksimmang 

The account I have is on server 0639 - you are on 0020 - Both in the same data center

can you email me a screen capture of the forwarder screen 

@PL281 

Sent.

pksimmang

@PL281 

Thanks very much for your time today.  Armed with the additional information you gave and your own testing, I called support (rather than chat) and after he confirmed everything I was saying I got escalated to the next level.  About an hour and a half later, the tech guys think they have a fix and have a ticket in to apply it to my server.  I'm going to mark this as answered, and if anyone else has this issue I'd encourage you to forego the chat option in lieu of a phone call.

Best regards and again, many thanks!

pksimmang

To @PL281 and anyone else who might want to know how it turned out:  Not as well as I'd hoped.  After GD Support replicated the problem and put in a trouble ticket, the response boiled down to "We can't replicate your problem" and "We have decided to no longer offer general email support to ensure the best possible experience for you and our other customers." 

I did come up with a workaround.  Since the bounce notification issue was only for aliases with no matching email user, I created email accounts for each of the aliases that were affected.  It worked like a charm:  sending a test before creating an account triggered a bounce; sending a test right after creating the account did not.  This means I'll have to go in and empty the accounts periodically, but that beats receiving a bounce message each time I send an email to one of those addresses.

pksimmang

View solution in original post