cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Symlink not Working in .htaccess File

I have a site that is setup with "Economy Linux Hosting with CPanel".

I have created a .htaccess file in the web root directory (public_html). The .htaccess file looks like this:

DirectoryIndex cgi-bin/index.cgi
AddHandler cgi-script .cgi
Options +ExecCGI -MultiViews +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch -Indexes

In my cgi-bin folder, I have a file named "dispatch.cgi". I'd like to create a symlink to that file like this:

ln -s dispatch.cgi index.cgi

However, the symlink will not work. The server throws an error.

If I rename dispatch.cgi to index.cgi, everything works great. However, I'd rather use the symlink. Is this possible? Might the server's httpd file be overriding me or something?

Note that I've attempted to allow the use of symlinks in my .htaccess file. I also added a second .htaccess file to cgi-bin with the same directives, but this didn't help.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Symlink not Working in .htaccess File

I'm having the same problem with the symlink.  Please post back here if you get this working.  I've attempted to call support but the wait times seem extraordinarily long lately.

Solution

I talked to Support about this issue.

Symlinks are not supported on shared servers. If you need to use symlinks, you need to upgrade to a VPS.

Hey @MySilmaril@brentnjones1492,

There shouldn't be any reason you can't create the symlink via an .htaccess file, but if it fails there won't be an error generated to identify why. Have either of you tried creating your symlink through SSH instead? This is usually the best method, especially since you'll see an error message generated if for any reason the link continues to fail. 

Knowing more about what's causing the symlink to fail would help other members suggest a solution if you still needed the assistance. 

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support

Hey @MySilmaril

I just realized I missed your last post while I was writing my own. That is actually not true. All cPanel shared hosting plans should support symlinks.  I have even verified this with a member of our Hosting tech team who has confirmed this on his own test account. 

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support