cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installatron backup to FTP site

I have 2 WordPress sites in Installatron.  I noticed that I could change the Default Backup Location for backups, so I went through the hassle of creating an FTP site to back up to.

In Installatron, I choose "Add a new backup location", FTP, and the address/credentials for the FTP site.  When I hit the "Save All" button, I get "One or more errors have occurred. No changes have been saved. Could not connect to the web hosting server. Please try again later. Technical error: [blank]"

Looking at the FTP server logs, it's not being hit at all.  So when I submit the form, it's not even trying to access the FTP site before errorring out.

Can I get some help?

10 REPLIES 10
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Installatron backup to FTP site

HI @jpw21683. Our hosting team is looking into issues with Installatron right now. What you're seeing is likely related to that issue. You probably won't be able to get the backup setup until that is addressed. I will try to update this thread once the issue is resolved. Sorry. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Thanks for letting me know that it's being looked into!  I appreciate it.  If you're able to update the thread, that would be great.  If not, I will continue testing.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @jpw21683. It looks like the issue that we were previously seeing with Installatron has been resolved. Were you able to get the FTP connection working? 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Thanks for getting back to me! Unfortunately, there is no change.  After inputting the FTP info and hitting save, it immediately errors out without ever hitting the FTP site.

I am using plain "FTP", no TLS/SSL or SFTP, if that makes a difference.

Any ideas?

Community Manager
Community Manager

@jpw21683 wrote:

Thanks for getting back to me! Unfortunately, there is no change.  After inputting the FTP info and hitting save, it immediately errors out without ever hitting the FTP site.

I am using plain "FTP", no TLS/SSL or SFTP, if that makes a difference.

Any ideas?

@jpw21683 Hmm... strange. I was able to set up an FTP backup on a test account, so I'm not sure why you'd be having problems. I'd suggest entering an IP address instead of a URL for the hostname. Depending on the server you're connecting to, you may need to change how you enter the username. For example, in connecting to another cPanel FTP, you'd have to use username@domain.com as the username. Hope you're able to get this figured out. 

Still not working.  I've tried URL and IP address for hostname.  It's to a FTP site on my home server, not cPanel, so no funkiness with usernames.

I can login into it just fine using the URL in FileZilla and https://ftptest.net/.  So it is definitely something on your end.

Community Manager
Community Manager

@jpw21683 - I'm not able to look at or make changes to your hosting plan. I'd suggest getting in touch with our support team if you believe there is something wrong with your hosting account. Hope you're able to get it figured out. Be sure to update here if you do!

Just had a call with GoDaddy "support". They claimed that they couldn't help since it was connecting to an offsite location.  That Installatron is offered as a convenience.

I explained that Installatron was a product GoDaddy offers AND that it doesn't even make an attempt to connect to my FTP site. Therefore, the problem is on GoDaddy's end and they should support it.

Nothing.

I will be looking for a new web hosting company.

Community Manager
Community Manager

I can understand your frustration @jpw21683. However, Installatron is not software created by GoDaddy. It is included as a part of cPanel, which is also not published by GoDaddy. My suggestion would be to see if you can find an answer on the Installatron community forums

Again, if the problem is on GoDaddy's end...then it should be GoDaddy's responsibility, regardless of who makes the software.

Looking at the Installatron community forums, it looks like it's a dead project.

I have implemented a workaround for all of this.  Installatron will back up to my Dropbox successfully.  I then use Microsoft Flow to transfer the backups from Dropbox to my FTP server.  More complicated than it should be, but it works.