cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted
New

GoDaddy has intentionally vague SSL installation instructions.

I've been a GoDaddy customer for years.  In the early stages, tech support was helpful.   GoDaddy monetizes instructions for installation of SSL certificates by not providing clear and accurate explanations of steps for installation.  They sell you the certificate but have clearly deficient instructions for installation. When asking for help the tech wants to charge an additional $100 over what I paid for the SSL certificate.  The difficulty installing SSL is directly related to the ambiguous and not clearly defined instructions that leads one to request help.  Not very consistent with ethical principles and the principles that GoDaddy embraced before they started monetizing issues that were heretofore done by GoDaddy staff.  This is disgraceful.

9 REPLIES 9
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Re: GoDaddy has intentionally vague SSL installation instructions.

Hey there @jasenn 

Sorry you're having so many issues, but this article on manually installing SSLs on GoDaddy's cPanel hosting is accurate and works correctly. I typically install at least 10-15 SSLs a month for people and I use these instructions every time. Never had an issue once. Hopefully, they'll help you out as well. 

Good luck!

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Super User I Super User I
Super User I

I feel your SSL configuration pain @jasenn. I too have had my share of SSL configuration headaches and I consider myself to know a little about a little. 

When it comes to SSL I feel like companies in general are a bit deficient? We've been thrusted into this "secure everything" age and companies are fighting to catch up. I think the fees for the advanced configuration of certificates is perhaps based on a experience gap? I have had basic help in configuring SSL certificates from support but short of that I've run into the same barrier you did. 

Unfortunately the speed of the internet means that documentation often lacks behind. Have you looked in the Community for these instructions? Your point is valid but I see this as a simple versus advanced configuration issue and whether it is a product like WordPress or SSL you can probably anticipate that there will be a cost for advanced configuration? 

I didn't get from your post how you're setting up your SSL, what type of certificate you have or what type of configuration you're using but I've been through these beige and I think I can point you in the right direction? 

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

New

Thanks for your response.

I'm attempting to install a standard SSL certificate on jasenn.org and
addon or subdomain of relatedness.org.  I'd appreciate any help you care
to share.

Jasenn

Super User I

I was hoping for more of a general sense of what kind of certificate you plan to use, where you got your certificate, what kind of hosting you are using... Since you have multiple domains you are protecting are you using a SAN SSL Certificate, a Wildcard SSL Certificate, a free SSL certificate? I can't really make a guess on the specific instructions to give with the information you have so far provided? 

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

New

I've attempted to get my ssl setup with the instructions from that article you linked but the issue is, my cpanel does not have the options described in the article.  I've also tried the manual instructions for centos/nginx but I dont have sudo access which is used in the article.  How in the world do I get my ssl installed on one of my secondary domains.

Super User I

The GoDaddy instructions are for GoDaddy SSL certificates, @trouzy are you trying to use a third party certificate?

New

No.  Turns out my godaddy hosting (deluxe) only supports (single site) ssl on the primary domain.  I also found out today that in 6 months they are turning my server off.  Weird I didn't get any heads up, I found out by calling support.  The solution is to move everything to a new server.

New

How is that so.  They claim to support ssl on subdomains and addon domains.  If they are going to turn your server off is that mean all servers on godaddy accounts will be turned off?

New

They said that mine was on an old setup and they are shutting down all the old ones. I had to pay for a new server and am manually moving all of my sites.