• VPS & Dedicated Servers
  • VPS & Dedicated Servers

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    merk
    Getting Started

what is the floating ips network connection for?

I'm having a problem running DNS queries using a php script, and someone suggested having the multiple network interfaces might be the cause. So i was wondering what the floating ips network is for? I didn't want to just disable it since I didn't want to accidentally lock myself out of my server. thanks

3 REPLIES 3
    davisdre317
    Super User I

Hello @merk and welcome to the community. 

Could you share a bit more information and/or a screenshot by chance. I'm curious to see what you looking at and I have no problem seeing if I have the same thing on my VPS.

Very Respectfully,

Drew Davis
    Navy Veteran and Entrepreneur | GoDaddy Pro user | "Proud to be serving others!"

*** Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Please feel free to give me KUDOS on this topic/discussion; mark my comment as ACCEPTED SOLUTION if you believe I've helped solved your issue. Thanks! ***

if you have a windows server and go to the network connections control panel, I have two adapters there. 

Ethernet redhat virtIO ethernet adapter

floating ips microsoft KM-TEST loopback adapter

I've been having a very odd problem being unable to do a dns query in a php script and one of the suggestions was that having multiple adapters might be the cause. So I was just trying to determine what this other adapter was for. It has an IP address starting with 169.254

@merk 

Sadly enough, I'm running an Ubuntu server. But from what I read from the Microsoft website, that adapter just seems to be a loopback, which would make sense why you only see 169.254. You could call GoDaddy support to confirm it's okay getting rid of that adapter if it's not needed for anything on the GoDaddy side of the house.

If you are given the okay, I might suggest you make a backup of the server, just so if things goes sideways at least you have a backup to go back to.  

Very Respectfully,

Drew Davis
    Navy Veteran and Entrepreneur | GoDaddy Pro user | "Proud to be serving others!"

*** Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Please feel free to give me KUDOS on this topic/discussion; mark my comment as ACCEPTED SOLUTION if you believe I've helped solved your issue. Thanks! ***