• VPS & Dedicated Servers

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

not connecting to server

Hi there,

my website www.adamyounggolf.com - I am unable to reach it on my cell data, however I can reach it on my wifi.

I've had a couple of other people claim the same, or complete reverse (able to reach on CELL but not on wifi).

The error messages read either 

"unable to establish a secure connection to server"

"Could not connect to server"

"server stopped responding"

"SSL protocol error"

I have heard this might be something to do with  IPv6 AAAA or V4 - but I have no idea where to start with this. Does anyone have any experience with this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@adamyounggolf I think there may be some confusion here. Allow me to clarify. Right now, your domain has an A Record (IPv4) that points to 35.206.108.63. It does not currently have an AAAA Record (IPv6). It is technically possible/permissible for a domain to have both types of records, so you can check with your provider to see if they can issue an IPv6 address. The issues I've seen when domains have both records is that sometimes there seems to be a conflict between one or more devices involved in the connection (computer, router, network, etc). Having both may solve the issue for you though, so it's worth a try. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
    Community Manager

Hi @adamyounggolf. Thanks for posting. That can be a hard issue to troubleshoot. You're right that this can sometimes be the result of having an IPv6 DNS entry (some ISPs do not do well with them) but it doesn't look like you have that type of record currently. This is most likely a client side issue since the website/server is accessible in most cases. Beyond standard troubleshooting (clearing browser cache cookies, restarting device/network equipment), I would make sure that the IP address you're connecting to isn't somehow being blocked by your cell provider. IP addresses can be recycled so sometimes an IP can gain a bad reputation that gets logged with a provider and not "forgotten". Beyond that you may also want to contact the IP provider, which appears to be Google. Hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Thank you so much, Jesse.

I will link those suggestions to my hosting service who seem to be baffled by this.

It also seems that (based on limited data) that any device that tries to connect via an IPv6 is ok, but devices with IPv4 addresses return the "cannot connect due to server not responding/not secure etc" error.

Would changing the IP address of my website work to solve this? Is that even possible? What if I changed to a different hosting company?

Thanks in advance

@adamyounggolf I think there may be some confusion here. Allow me to clarify. Right now, your domain has an A Record (IPv4) that points to 35.206.108.63. It does not currently have an AAAA Record (IPv6). It is technically possible/permissible for a domain to have both types of records, so you can check with your provider to see if they can issue an IPv6 address. The issues I've seen when domains have both records is that sometimes there seems to be a conflict between one or more devices involved in the connection (computer, router, network, etc). Having both may solve the issue for you though, so it's worth a try. 

View solution in original post