• VPS & Dedicated Servers
  • VPS & Dedicated Servers

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

my VPS server will not resolve domain

I have a problem with my VPS server. It intermittently has problems resolving domain names. Ip address working find, but if you try to go to a website address it sometimes works and most time it doesn't. I believe this is a issue with go-daddy DNS server but i could be wrong. I'm running windows 2012, and i use it to run my company quick-books and quick-book needs to access website access in order to send info to ups and fed-ex and i send email out of it that fails on port 80.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@serverguy2021 

Ok so I'm not a windows person but I've done some Windows support before, this does sound like a forward lookup / DNS issue inside windows where the server doesn't know what DNS server to use. 

Assuming this is a GoDaddy hosted server I would reach out to their support department - I wouldn't get into anything about Quickbooks with support, I would focus on the fact that you are have DNS lookup issues when using the server itself.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
    Super User IV

@serverguy2021 

I guess I'm a little confused by your question / statement here - let me see if I can summarize it below - 

You have a Windows 2012 VPS Server from GoDaddy (I assume a Gen3 VPS) and you are using it as a server where you are running Quickbooks and that Quickbooks is having issues connecting to 3rd party websites?

Assuming that is all correct - a couple of things

1) While a VPS technically should be able to accomplish the setup you have, I've never seen / heard of a GoDaddy VPS being used in that fashion 

2) You mentioned Windows 2012 - the current GoDaddy Windows Servers are running 2016 - I highly suggest migrating / upgrading if at all possible as that may solve your issue

3) If you are using Quickbooks on a remote server perhaps consider using Quickbooks online instead

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Let me see if i can explain better! OK i have a windows 2012 server and if i launch a web browser, the web browser cant find like yahoo.com. But if i type in the web IP address to yahoo.com i can browse to the home page. This is a interment problem because sometime you can browse the web. Because my server cant browse the web this is causing issue on my quick-books, because quick-book need web access for certain features. Online quick-book will not work for me because of the version of quick-books i'm using is not available on the online version. I believe this is a DNS problem.

@serverguy2021 

Ok so I'm not a windows person but I've done some Windows support before, this does sound like a forward lookup / DNS issue inside windows where the server doesn't know what DNS server to use. 

Assuming this is a GoDaddy hosted server I would reach out to their support department - I wouldn't get into anything about Quickbooks with support, I would focus on the fact that you are have DNS lookup issues when using the server itself.

View solution in original post