• VPS & Dedicated Servers
  • VPS & Dedicated Servers

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

Working on Gen4 VPS development websites

Hi guys, I am trying to figure out something as I evaluate the generation four VPS server on Go Daddy. I am currently within motion hosting and I have my own VPS server there. When I'm working on a WordPress site using a temporary site I typically am able to use the IP address/site name similar to this.  http://23.235.194.219/~hijackedkitchen/

I set up a same blank word press site on the Go Daddy VPS server which should be at the following location...  http://64.202.184.19/~hijackedkitchen/

but unfortunately, I get a 404 error. Both are using cPanel and it WHM

Does anyone know how to use a Go Daddy VPS server and work on websites without modifying the host file. I would think this should be possible if anyone knows let me know. If the only way to do it is through the host file let me know. I'm just trying to figure out this before I switch to Go Daddy VPS servers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
    Super User IV

@Hubukai 

There are some settings in the usermod tweaks to enable using users names. Personally I have a domain like mycompanydev.com and then in the dns I point * to the IP of the server and then use customer.mycompanydev.com as an addon domain and use that for the dev work. 

I find it is cleaner and more modern looking.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
    Super User IV

@Hubukai 

There are some settings in the usermod tweaks to enable using users names. Personally I have a domain like mycompanydev.com and then in the dns I point * to the IP of the server and then use customer.mycompanydev.com as an addon domain and use that for the dev work. 

I find it is cleaner and more modern looking.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post