Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    peterachutha
    Getting Started

New to VPS using 1 vCPU

Hi guys,

I am new tot VPS but have had website on shared hostings for more then 10 years. A few days ago I decided to try out VPS so I ordered the cheapest self managed system.

I managed to get SSH working but I can't get http://[server IP]:xxxx working. I have tried 2087, 2086, 2083. Don't have WHM/cPanel. Should I or can  I buy WHM/cPanel.

Checked through SSH and foundt commands such as apt, firewall, ... not available.

What do I do next? Is there any docs on what to do next to get server running and website up?

Thanks,

Peter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@peterachutha 

So when you get the 2CPU with WHM/cPanel - the server comes setup ready to go. You would log into WHM and create a cPanel account for the  site you want to setup - and then you can manually install / setup wordpress or use the Installtron app via cPanel

I use a number of the VPS servers with the Self Managed (with WHM) - I believe they run around $45/month - I didn't feel the need to go to the fully managed as I know enough server admin to be able to take care of everything else.

In answer to your question on setting up the services - I would guess yum install proftp (I believe that is the correct package) 

While I can install / configure a server via command line - the $15/month for WHM/cPanel is worth it not to have to take the time to worry about it

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
    PL281
    Super User IV

@peterachutha 

Unless you pay for the cPanel option ($15/month) the server does not have any sort of control panel and everything is command line - I suggest getting cPanel for the server - I don't know if it can be added or if you need to cancel the server and repurchase with cPanel - GoDaddy Support can help you with this

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Thanks PL281.

It looks like I will have to upgrade to 2vCPU with WHM/cPanel. Do you know if they will setup Apache, MSQL, PHP & WordPress when I order the 2 vCPU with WHM/cPanel?

I managed to set the 1vCPU server with Apache, MSQL, PHP through Joel Hans article https://blog.ssdnodes.com/blog/vps-beginners-guide/

It saved me a lot of hunting for what to do next.

Any documents on how to setup a website if I don't have WHM/cPanel or FTP. I am looking for how to setup FTP too. 

This server was for one month for me to test it out and see if I could set up the VPS server without managed support. Managed support is very expensive.

Thanks.

@peterachutha 

So when you get the 2CPU with WHM/cPanel - the server comes setup ready to go. You would log into WHM and create a cPanel account for the  site you want to setup - and then you can manually install / setup wordpress or use the Installtron app via cPanel

I use a number of the VPS servers with the Self Managed (with WHM) - I believe they run around $45/month - I didn't feel the need to go to the fully managed as I know enough server admin to be able to take care of everything else.

In answer to your question on setting up the services - I would guess yum install proftp (I believe that is the correct package) 

While I can install / configure a server via command line - the $15/month for WHM/cPanel is worth it not to have to take the time to worry about it

View solution in original post

Thanks PL281 for your help.

I called tech support and the lady told me that either I do all the installation and support myself (self managed) or they do all the installation and support (managed plans). The managed plans were too expensive for me. I even asked them if I could have them to install everything and I just do the maintenance, since I have learnt to use SSH. She said that it cannot be done.

Now I have moved to another hosting company that did all the installation for free for me & it includes WHM & cPanel. I am now managing the VPS system and transferring my 4 websites, one of which is WordPress and the other three are custom PHP sites.

Thanks for your support and help.