cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Highlighted

How to Disable MySQL strict mode in VPS

Hi,

We purchased VPS Kindly help to change our mysql GLOBAL mode from 'STRICT_TRANS_TABLES,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION' ..

Can you help us pls

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
    Highlighted
    Solution

Re: How to Disable MySQL strict mode in VPS

Hey @dhanesh,

Welcome to the community! Smiley Happy

Afraid I'm not familiar with the specific steps that are required to disable this mode within a server environment. Also, we don't have any specific documentation within our Help Center that can walk you through this.

However, I did find a few tutorials through preferred search engine results that indicate these settings are generally modified through a "my.cnf" file located within /user/ or /etc/ directories. The specifics vary based on the OS/control panel of your server environment and applications you might be trying to disable this setting for. I did find one recent discussion on the cPanel Forums that might help. 

Let us know if this helps out. You're also welcome to provide us with a little more detail of your environment and what you're needing to disable this feature for so another member of the community familiar with your situation can help offer a little more insight. 

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    24/7 support available at x.co/247support

View solution in original post

Highlighted
    Solution

Re: How To Disable MySQL Strict Mode In VPS

Hey @kwatts22,

First let me say welcome to the community! Smiley Happy

Since your question was concerning a topic we already had an open discussion for, I moved your post here. Unfortunately I'm not expert on the matter, but I have noticed this question coming up a bit more lately and everything I've been able to research in search engine results revolves around modifications of the 'my.cnf'. Especially if you're working within a cPanel environment. 

Any chance you've seen the details I linked above from the cPanel Forums? Let us know if you manage to work this out. 

24 REPLIES 24
    Highlighted
    New

how to disable mysql strict mode

My godaddy server using mysql version 5.6.30-cll-lve. Can any help on how to disable mysql strict mode?

Highlighted
    New

Re: how to disable mysql strict mode

Bump.

I would also like to know.

Highlighted

Hi @Sgra and @genny9

You cannot disable MySQL strict mode with any of our shared hosting accounts. You will need to purchase a Virtual Dedicated or Dedicated Server.

KayJay - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    Highlighted
    New

how I turn off mysql strict mode

how I turn off mysql strict mode on host not vps

Highlighted

Re: how I turn off mysql strict mode

Hi @PePes

As one of our community moderators let me be the first to welcome you to our forums. You cannot turn off MySQL strict mode within our shared hosting accounts, it's not allowed. 

KayJay - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    Highlighted

STRICT_TRANS_TABLES in database

my programmer was working on my plan to install prosper202 software ,but he send me that there is a problem:

(There is database problem. If you call godaddy and ask to disable STRICT_TRANS_TABLES in database. It will work perfectly.)

can i solve this directly or i need to do this throw goddady support

if i can solve it how

thanks

Highlighted
    Solution

Hey @dhanesh,

Welcome to the community! Smiley Happy

Afraid I'm not familiar with the specific steps that are required to disable this mode within a server environment. Also, we don't have any specific documentation within our Help Center that can walk you through this.

However, I did find a few tutorials through preferred search engine results that indicate these settings are generally modified through a "my.cnf" file located within /user/ or /etc/ directories. The specifics vary based on the OS/control panel of your server environment and applications you might be trying to disable this setting for. I did find one recent discussion on the cPanel Forums that might help. 

Let us know if this helps out. You're also welcome to provide us with a little more detail of your environment and what you're needing to disable this feature for so another member of the community familiar with your situation can help offer a little more insight. 

Highlighted

stric sql mode

I have a dedicated server but still having problems trying to disable stric sql. How do you do it? I looked at many forms but the file that they direct you to don't exist. I am trying to install whmcs. 

Highlighted
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

Re: STRICT_TRANS_TABLES in database

Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community, @questtt666!

To be honest, I haven't come across this issue before. In researching how this would be disabled, it seems like you would need access to the server configuration files. If you have a VPS or Dedicated Server, this might be possible. However, if you are hosted in a shared environment (like our Plesk or cPanel Web Hosting), then you wouldn't have the access needed to make such changes. Support wouldn't be able to change this for you either, as it would affect accounts other than yours. If you can confirm if you have a VPS or Dedicated Server, other community members may be able to suggest ways for you to move forward. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
    Highlighted
    Solution

Re: How To Disable MySQL Strict Mode In VPS

Hey @kwatts22,

First let me say welcome to the community! Smiley Happy

Since your question was concerning a topic we already had an open discussion for, I moved your post here. Unfortunately I'm not expert on the matter, but I have noticed this question coming up a bit more lately and everything I've been able to research in search engine results revolves around modifications of the 'my.cnf'. Especially if you're working within a cPanel environment. 

Any chance you've seen the details I linked above from the cPanel Forums? Let us know if you manage to work this out. 

Highlighted
    New

Re: how I turn off mysql strict mode

Bad news for me too, Didn't know this until after I paid for hosting and now I can't use godaddy hosting

Highlighted

well  this is very sad, how come we cannot change this parm ? this requires a lots of changes  to my site. If I  knew I would not have selected godaddy as this is causing days of  work to try and find all scenarios where strict mode is needed or not.  I dont't want to go to a dedicated plan just for that...

Any help for many of your customers that dont need strict mode ?

Thanks for your consideration into this request  

Highlighted

I need to Disable MySQL strict mode with VPS

Hi,

I have a VPS and I tried to disable the Strict Mode by using the below but it seems the Strict mode is still enable even after I restart the server.

sql_mode=""

please support.

Highlighted
    Employee
    Employee

Re: I need to Disable MySQL strict mode with VPS

Hello @abdulaziz4419. I moved your initial post to this existing thread that you were aware of after posting. In regards to your statement, you may need to enter it such as:

SET sql_mode = '';

You can review more details about the SQL strict modes here: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/sql-mode.html#sql-mode-strict

Hope this helps! 

Naterx - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    Highlighted

Re: I need to Disable MySQL strict mode with VPS

Hello I know i'm jumping into this conversation. But I need to set the following to SET GLOBAL sql_mode= . I tried to set it but I get the error message that I have to be privilege to do so. Any help will be greatly appreciated. 

Highlighted

Hi.

This is the quickest way to solve it via vps, it might work with shared hosting.  If it works for shared hosting as well.  Do post it here and help a non techie like me.  That's right.  I am a non techie.

1. Login to your server or account

2.  Open phpmyadmin

3. Hover on more

4. Click on variables

5. Find SQL mode

6. Highlight and click on edit

7.  Delete everything between '...' these marks

8. Save.

9.  Problem solved.

Highlighted

Is it possible to set up one dedicated server where it is shared by customers that don't need strict mode?

If not, can I request for refund as it is not serving to my needs?

Highlighted

Hi,

Even i have bought the shared hosting recently and facing the same problem. If this is the biggest blocking issue can we request for refund?

Highlighted
    Helper I

We found this to be an issue for a few of our clients running a mission critical legacy Perl web app on the VPS platform. It is certainly secure and updating it to play nice with strict mode would have been cost prohibitive with no real benefit. We would have taken advantage of the 30 day cancellation policy if we had not found a solution.

The default SQL mode on the VPS is: "STRICT_TRANS_TABLES,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION"

We modified the web app to issue a SQL command right after connect which disables STRICT_TRANS_TABLES mode for that session. Below is an example in Perl.

sub ConnectToDatabase {
    	my $ds = "dbi:mysql:database=$dbName;host=$dbHost";
    	$dbh = DBI->connect($ds, $dbUser, $dbPass) or return $DBI::errstr;
    	$dbh->do(q|SET SESSION sql_mode = 'NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION';|);
    	return 0;
    }

This takes care of the issue for that web application while leaving STRICT_TRANS_TABLES active for all others.

I hope this helps some folks.

Highlighted
    New

Solve mysql STRICT_TRANS_TABLE, how to turn off STRICT_TRANS_TABLES,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION ?

We have an application that runs in godaddy hosting account, so we are facing so many issues because of mysql configuration. Please disable STRICT_TRANS_TABLE, NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION..

Please help as soon as possible.

Also let me know how to disable it.. 

Highlighted

Re: STRICT_TRANS_TABLES in database

I have the same issue with a dedicated server. I have been on this for days and its really disheartening. Help me out

Highlighted

well this is very disappointing, I never would have used Godaddy hosting had I known this, can you confirm this is still the case today and there is no workaround so I can cancel my hosting account ASAP? 

Thanks.

Highlighted

What a horrible support I wasted a month of my vps time just trying to solve this and until now you(re unable to help me !!!!!!!!!!!

Highlighted

Hello There, If you have one VPS hosting server then follow these steps. 1. Open Whm 2.Open phpmyadmin from whm. 3.After opening phpmyadmin->Click on variables tab 4.Search for sql mode in that list. 5.Edit it and delete everything written in it. 6. Save 7.Enjoy now. Only warning will generate now but no errors.The sql query will execute now.