cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

how were spam pages added and how to remove them?

Somehow a number of spam pages were added to http://lansingburghhistoricalsociety.org/docs/ and I don't see how they were added (they don't appear at Pages or Posts) nor how to remove them.  What needs to be done to remove them and to prevent any more such pages from being added?

2 REPLIES 2
Super User I Super User I
Super User I
Solution

Re: how were spam pages added and how to remove them?

The "How?" requires a bit of forensics @LHS-CKP and the way to clean up sometimes depends on what the compromise was. There is a free website scanner I use at sitecheck.sucuri.net Also check out What is malware and how can you protect your WordPress website?

Without knowing the specifics I'd just say to login to your website's directory and manually delete any rogue files. PLEASE do not delete files needed for your WordPress installation. Your website does appear to have some virus issues but without some research I couldn't say what exactly the culprit is. The best advice I can offer is contact support immediately and going forward perhaps invest in a Website Security plan? I hope that helps?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

Super User I Super User I
Super User I

Re: how were spam pages added and how to remove them?

@LHS-CKP

... and to add to @rd most excellent advice, change all your passwords immediately.  Both in the WordPress Dashboard, Account and FTP.

HTH! Smiley Wink

Judith
"All people are the same; only their habits differ." ~Confucius