cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

VPN - SmartLine Not Working

Does anyone have a solution? Smartline is not working. Incoming calls are not ringing and outgoing calls are met with the Error message: "This number cannot be called or is an invalid phone number." I called GoDaddy this morning and was told that Smartline no longer works while a VPN is active. I use ExpressVPN and it’s not been a problem until very recently. Turning the VPN off will make my phone more vulnerable. Please help! Gratefully, Luke

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jesse,

So management said that they had to "restrict access to our Smartline API from VPNs because they were frequently being used for fraudulent behavior". So are a vast number of domains on the web as well as many seemingly innocuous items we use every day, but the vast number of people use them for their intended purposes and in this case, simply to protect.

Why did I have to find this out myself? Isn't this an important enough policy that customers should be informed before losing service for over two weeks?  

Jesse, I appreciate you responsiveness; it's uncommon these days. So thank you. As of yesterday, I ported my number out of GoDaddy.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Community Manager

Hi @LukeD. Thanks for posting. I was able to confirm that our SmartLine product did work with VPN at one time, but no longer does. Why that is I'm not sure, but I'll see what I can find out and update here when I have more information. The only way to use SmartLine is to turn of the VPN on your phone. Sorry 🙁

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Jesse, Given the rapid increase in hacking, a VPN is an important safety tool. Unfortunately, this means I'll have to move to another app for a 2nd phone line.

Thanks for replying.

Community Manager

@LukeD - So I've found that we have had to restrict access to our SmartLine API from VPNs because they were frequently being used for fraudulent behavior. While you may be using the a VPN to attempt to protect yourself, others use them for more nefarious purposes. We made this change on our end to protect our customers and the stability of our networks. So for the time being, if using a VPN is a required feature for you, you may need to consider other providers. Sorry 🙁

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Jesse,

What is meant by “fraudulent“? And is Express VPN listed?
Thanks,

Luke
Community Manager

@LukeD - I can't really get into the details of what was occurring, but all VPN connections to SmartLine have been blocked as far as I know. 

Jesse,

So management said that they had to "restrict access to our Smartline API from VPNs because they were frequently being used for fraudulent behavior". So are a vast number of domains on the web as well as many seemingly innocuous items we use every day, but the vast number of people use them for their intended purposes and in this case, simply to protect.

Why did I have to find this out myself? Isn't this an important enough policy that customers should be informed before losing service for over two weeks?  

Jesse, I appreciate you responsiveness; it's uncommon these days. So thank you. As of yesterday, I ported my number out of GoDaddy.

View solution in original post