Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
coach_izzy
Apprentice

www in domain name creating conflict

Hello, everyone!

Here’s my issue. I secured my 9 sites with an ssl certificate. Everything seems to work with all of them, except one: holdengerrig.com

When accessing the site from an iOS mobile device, I get the message that it may not be secure and it may be trying to impersonate www.holdengerrig.com

After seeking some support, I was lead to an ssl checker. It turns out that while holdengerrig.com checks out, www.holdengerrig.com doesn’t. Here are the results:

https://www.sslshopper.com/ssl-checker.html#hostname=www.holdengerrig.com

The SSL checker gives all green lights when using the domain name without the www. Also, the warning message doesn't pop for everyone.

I welcome all suggestions on how to fix this, please. It seems bizarre since I thought the www in the domain name would transfer automatically to the domain without the www.

Thank you in advance.

7 REPLIES
Pro Community Founder Artisan Pro Community Founder Artisan
Pro Community Founder Artisan

Re: www in domain name creating conflict

How is your www pointed in your DNS @coach_izzy? What kind of SSL certificate are you using?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

coach_izzy
Apprentice

Thank you for your reply, rd. My SSL certificate is a Standard UCC SSL (Up to 10).

As far as checking my DNS, I do it through the GoDaddy site, but I can't see where the www is pointing to.

Update: There's a CNAME record for www (host: wwww, Points to: @,  and TTL: 1 hour.

Thank you.

Izzy

Are you saying that your going through your DNS Manager and you don't see a www for your domain @coach_izzy?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

coach_izzy
Apprentice

Hi, @rd, I updated my reply. There's a CNAME record for my domain:

Host: wwww

Points to: @

TTL: 1 hour

Is this what you meant?

Yes @coach_izzy, that is what I meant. Looking at your setup it looks like you have things done properly? When I go to either https://www.holdengerrig.com or www.holdengerrig.com I get moved to the secure https://holdengerrig.com

I do see the error about the common name not being specifically mentioned but usually what happens is when you add a domain the subdomains like www are also included. I just went through this same exercise so that I could understand this process better. You can read about my recent effort of understanding at UCC certs aren't what they use to be?. Spoiler, for me it was just finding the correct process in the end. 

As for you there are domains you have listed as SANs that include the www subdomain that makes me wonder if you specifically included it for some or if the system added that like it should have? When assigning your certificate you should get something like peytonscoffee.com (mail.peytonscoffee.com, www.peytonscoffee.com) and peytonspastry.com (mail.peytonspastry.com, www.peytonspastry.com) in your list? You didn't point the www after you added the SAN did you? I assume that you agent messing with .htaccess files? In the post I referenced (though it's a bit long) you can see my actual working setup. 

coach_izzy
Apprentice

Thank you so much for the thorough reply, @rd. I'm going to read the links you included but it seems that I'm going to have to add the www domain to my list of certified sites. Oh, well! Time to purchase more certificates, I guess. Thank you again.

Izzy

UPDATE

Thank you for the great link. I guess I'm going to have to edit the .htaccess file. The plugin I'm using (Really Simple SSL) changed it when I installed it.

Coolness @coach_izzy, I try to provide worthwhile information. One of the reasons I took the time to understand was so I could pass on what I found. I appreciate that in some small way I helped?