Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Ive been Hacked where can I go?

My Site on Godaddy has been hacked and runs a redirect to a spam site, Im a newbie so I screwed up, I really did, what I want to know is "is there a place or a company who I can go to that can help me, that doesn't cost hundreds of dollars. I have $200 NZ which just isn't enough, Ive started a Page for donations, so that might help, but I have to get it back online, as it really is important.
As we are teaching people how to identify Sexual and opportunist Predators within the Night-time industry.
Its very important that I get it back. thank you for any reply, as I'm lost. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PL281
Super User IV

@JohnnyAlpha 

1) I'm assuming this is a WordPress site hosted on cPanel

2) I'm assuming you don't have a backup copy of the site.

3) The "good news" is that this usually only affects the file system and not the database (not always but usually)

there is a website fiverr.com which has "gigs" that you can find some restore services at lower costs.

Before doing that here are some things you can do (again assuming that it is WordPress) 

1) Download from WordPress.org the latest version of WordPress

2) Remove the wp-admin folder and the wp-includes folder

3) Remove all the php files in the root of the site EXCEPT for wp-config.php - You'll need this to reconnect with the database

4) Upload / unzip the WordPress zip file

5) Move all the files (except for wp-content) from the /wordpress folder back to the root of your site.

At this point depending on what was updated, your site maybe back up - if not you at least have a clean install of WordPress

The next step would be to go into the wp-content/themes folder - "hopefully" you aren't using a custom theme and can just delete / reinstall the theme - if not you have 2 options a) check the dates on the file and then edit any that have different dates and look for the redirect code

or delete the theme(s) and move the twentytwentyone theme from the wordpress folder we unzipped and then rebuilt the template for your site.

Hope this helps

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
PL281
Super User IV

@JohnnyAlpha 

1) I'm assuming this is a WordPress site hosted on cPanel

2) I'm assuming you don't have a backup copy of the site.

3) The "good news" is that this usually only affects the file system and not the database (not always but usually)

there is a website fiverr.com which has "gigs" that you can find some restore services at lower costs.

Before doing that here are some things you can do (again assuming that it is WordPress) 

1) Download from WordPress.org the latest version of WordPress

2) Remove the wp-admin folder and the wp-includes folder

3) Remove all the php files in the root of the site EXCEPT for wp-config.php - You'll need this to reconnect with the database

4) Upload / unzip the WordPress zip file

5) Move all the files (except for wp-content) from the /wordpress folder back to the root of your site.

At this point depending on what was updated, your site maybe back up - if not you at least have a clean install of WordPress

The next step would be to go into the wp-content/themes folder - "hopefully" you aren't using a custom theme and can just delete / reinstall the theme - if not you have 2 options a) check the dates on the file and then edit any that have different dates and look for the redirect code

or delete the theme(s) and move the twentytwentyone theme from the wordpress folder we unzipped and then rebuilt the template for your site.

Hope this helps

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post