Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
pm4
New

Do I need a Wildcard SSL?

Hi!

I hope this post finds you well.

I've got Goddady Hosting (Delux Linux C Panel) and have a few hobby projects.  The projects have been set up under primary domain as using the Addon Domain option on C Panel.

Do I need a separate SSL certificates for each of the projects (websites) or will one on the Primary Domain cover it?

If I do, am I right in thinking a Wildcard SSL would be the way forward?

Finally, does anyone have any recommendations for where I get my SSL from?

Any advice appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Muse
Super User I

@pm4 

SSL certificates are issued per domain.

=> A standard SSL covers one domain -- both www.yourdomain.com and non-www (yourdomain.com) versions.

=> A wildcard SSL covers one domain *and* any subdomains of that domain.  Example subdomains are: blog.yourdomain.com, members.yourdomain.com, store.yourdomain.com.

If you are using different domains each domain needs it's own SSL.  Which SSL you need is dependent on if you want subdomains included.

Does that help? 😉

Judith
"Boldness be my friend." ~ William Shakespeare

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Muse
Super User I

@pm4 

SSL certificates are issued per domain.

=> A standard SSL covers one domain -- both www.yourdomain.com and non-www (yourdomain.com) versions.

=> A wildcard SSL covers one domain *and* any subdomains of that domain.  Example subdomains are: blog.yourdomain.com, members.yourdomain.com, store.yourdomain.com.

If you are using different domains each domain needs it's own SSL.  Which SSL you need is dependent on if you want subdomains included.

Does that help? 😉

Judith
"Boldness be my friend." ~ William Shakespeare

View solution in original post

Hi @Muse!

Thanks so much for your help.  That all makes perfect sense and gives me a way forward.

Really appreciate your support.  Thank you.

Have a great day!