cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Azure Secure LDAP Certificate

I'm trying to setup Secure LDAP on Azure to communicate to a hosted spam filter.  They recomend getting the following.

• Recommended - Obtain a certificate from your enterprise CA or public certification authority. This is a much more secure configuration option.

How Do I generate the *.domain.com wildcard cert for Secure LDAP when Azure doesn't have a way to generate it.  They say I need a pfx certificate file.  I've tried going the self signed route and it doesn't work.

Please help I haven't been able to find anything on the web on how to do this.

1 REPLY 1
Employee
Employee
Solution

Re: Azure Secure LDAP Certificate

Hello @todd2018

You have multiple options regarding this process. One route you may wish to consider is generating a certificate signing request in IIS on a server, installing the SSL once it is issued from the CA, exporting the .pfx from your certificate store, then finally uploading the .pfx to your Azure account for use. 

If you have an IIS Server at your disposal, you can use it to generate the certificate. If you don’t, you can install it on any computer running Windows (Server or Client). A detailed instruction guide on generating your CSR (Certificate Signing Requests) for *.domain.com can be found here.

Your next step will be to purchase and submit your CSR to the Certificate Authority. Once you have completed the validation process and the certificate has issued, you will want to download the .crt/.cer file and complete the certificate installation. A detailed instruction guide on installing an SSL certificate in IIS may be found here

Once you have completed installation of the certificate, you will want to export the completed pkcs12 (.pfx) file from your personal certificate store. 

1. Open your certificate management console by pressing the Windows+R  key combination and typing certmgr.msc and then Enter.
  2. In the certificate manager, navigate to Personal/Certificates. You should see your new certificate located there.
  3. Right-click on the certificate and choose All Tasks/Export
  4. In the wizard, select YES to export the private key, and on the next page, Personal Information Exchange – PKCS #12.
  5. On the next page, enable the password option, and type in a password of your choice. You will use it later when uploading the certificate. On the next page, type in a target path and name for the exported file.
  6. Recall where you saved your .pfx file and upload it to your Azure account for usage.