• Marketing Your Business
  • Marketing Your Business

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Helper II

Contacting a Mentor - some tips

Before you contact asking someone to become your mentor, be sure YOU know what you hope to achieve with the relationship.  Make a list of three or four top goals you would like them to help you with.  Take the time to review their profile - does their experience align with your goals?  In your contact e-mail share a brief overview of your business (do you sell widgets or offer a service?), mention your goals, and be fairly specific in what you hope they can offer you.  The clearer you are the better they can decide if they think they can bring something helpful to the table.  There is no point in wasting either your time or the mentor's time if their area of expertise isn't a solid fit for your business and goals.  Be sure your profile is complete and accurate - they will likely review it before replying!

9 REPLIES 9
    Super User II
    Super User II

Re: Contacting a Mentor - some tips

@ruralart wrote:

Before you contact asking someone to become your mentor, be sure YOU know what you hope to achieve with the relationship.  Make a list of three or four top goals you would like them to help you with.  Take the time to review their profile - does their experience align with your goals?  In your contact e-mail share a brief overview of your business (do you sell widgets or offer a service?), mention your goals, and be fairly specific in what you hope they can offer you.  The clearer you are the better they can decide if they think they can bring something helpful to the table.  There is no point in wasting either your time or the mentor's time if their area of expertise isn't a solid fit for your business and goals.  Be sure your profile is complete and accurate - they will likely review it before replying!

@ruralart I agree, I've had several people contact me about being a mentor and none have responded when asked what they need help with.

---

Highlighted
    estieg
    Former Employee

Hey folks,

Great feedback, looks like we may need to automate this a bit to save you some time! One thing we're going to do is ensure anyone requesting a mentor also has a completed profile, so mentors get a better understanding of who the person is.  There probably should be an auto-generated message to the mentee as well, but would like to get everyone's feedback on the best route for that.

Eric

If I answered your question, please mark it as the solution or give it a "Kudo"

I've been a GoDaddy client for several years, but because of my schedule and other life issues I never use the products that I purchase and renew every year. This, of course, always makes me feel guilty for not following through with the purpose of my purchasing the products. My last go round with a service that I had a fully functioning website ended up being a security and customer service nightmare: Network Solutions, so I switched over to GoDaddy to preserve all my domains, but haven't moved forward in five yesrs with the new website or blogs and have been doing all my social media work using Twitter and Facebook which is totally insufficient for my objectives. I have a plethora of objectives including simultaneously transferring three existing blogs and other social media entities into new, creative and attractive working blogs, a website and an online store. Additionally, I have unsuccessfully not found a means of migrating over one million emails from an email service I detest and want to get those emails into a new stand alone email product. I am just now renewing one of my three domain subscriptions with GoDaddy and noticed for the first time the GoDaddy mentorship program which sounds really enticing. However, I couldn't find much information regarding the specific definition of the mentor and what the cost is for getting one. I'm also looking for a service that will make it easier for me to format my 100,000 pages of writings in my digital archives into e-books that I want to place in my online store once it is up and running. Could someone answer these questions for me. Thanks and have a great day.

estieg
    Former Employee

Hey @JamesHartline

Thanks for joining the community and sharing your background!  I think we've all been there at one point in time or another, but today is a new day and one where you can push forward!

Regarding the mentoring program - the mentors have signed up to help small business owners succeed in their business and advocates and to help provide advice for building your business.

What does that mean?  All the mentors have been or are business owners and come from a variety of different vertical industries, locations, etc., They are here free of charge to help you.

What does requesting a mentor mean?  You need to articulate what you need help with, and share those details with the potential mentor when you send the mentoring request (it opens a PM and you can type information into the body of the private message to help provide details of your business, what you need help with, etc.,).  You should NOT expect a mentor to do work on your behalf, as they have full-time gigs/jobs, but you can expect them to provide authentic, transparent and honest opinions about how to help.

We have over 100 mentors on the site now, and by visiting the mentor landing page, and clicking on the mentor's avatar, you can view their expertise and their professional profile and get an idea if/who may be a good match.  

Please do not send more than 2 mentor requests at a time, as we'd prefer each business owner work with one mentor at a time (they are all really "super" busy!).

Please let me know if I can be further assistance, and please do share how things are going!

Eric

Site Admin

If I answered your question, please mark it as the solution or give it a "Kudo"
    Helper III

I know e-books are different than pen and ink versions, however you may find these websites and services most helpful:

selfpublishingadvice.org

allianceofindependentauthors.org

isbn-international.org

trademarkia.com

These sites will answer most all of your questions on how to publish, hard copy and on-line ebooks, best places to publish, what to do about the income from publishing, advice about registering your publishing name, trademarking and copywriting, etc.

Best of luck! Hope some of this helps.

Talk with me. Nothing is more helpful than an optimistic, truthful, and unbiased opinion. (Kudos are welcomed. Thank you!)

Hello JamesHartline, 

Im happy to hear you are interested in doing business with godaddy again, Im sure we can help optimize your account by making sure you are utilizing all the products you are paying for. Call in anytime and our team can access your account to review those products you are uncertain about weather you want them. 

The "three existing blogs" that you mentioned do you happen to know how those were built previously for instructions on how to migrate them to hosting with us and are you familiar at all with wordpress as a solution to consider for the rebuild. Check out this article giving you an idea

https://www.godaddy.com/help/getting-started-with-wordpress-5140?

VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGVLVmj5wg0

In regards to your email. 1 Million WOW!  that is quite a bit of email. Do you happen to know how many GB's that is? 

GoDaddy does offer a migration service and a great email service(https://www.godaddy.com/email/professional-email)

3.5 GB+ require either Email Plus, Online Essentials, or Business Premium.

Please contact our Productivity Department for more info on how to get this process started. 

Request to speak with Productivity Department 480-505-8877

Lastly about changing your writings into pdf's I did a little research and if you happen to have a scanner available the following might work. 

https://www.lifewire.com/convert-paper-documents-to-pdf-files-3540416

I hope that helps a bit!

Smiley Happy

Mike L. | WebPro
    New

Hi  there 

I  just  registered with Godaddy an hour ago, I have very  little knowledge of  web site,  but  I understand that with  good website, it will be able to grow  the business. 

The company dealing with customers in Oil & Gas ,  heavy engineering Industries , chemical and Engineering.  Our company provide services  and  trading.   We focus on maintenance, repair an operation support in SEA region.  We provide services   such as procurement agent  to source for needed  products from  oversea,  hence require mentor on that area,  it coule be from hardware to equipment. .  

Dear TF2018,

I understand you are looking for some guidance on how to setup a website and promote your business online is that right? 

I also see you are a service based provider that will have procurement agents sourcing goods.

Tell me more about how you would like the website to function such as what kind of features. Is this going to be a standard website to promote the business or a functional piece of the business.

Essentially tell me more about your immediate goals and i'm sure I can help advise you. 

Simple method of building website:

https://www.godaddy.com/websites/website-builder?isc=gdcommgen

More advanced: 

https://www.godaddy.com/hosting/wordpress-hosting?isc=gdcommgen

Sincerely,

Mike L.

Pro Advanced Care Team 

Mike L. | WebPro
    New

H Team

Thanks for reply.  I would like to have  both functional and  promote business, can  it  be ?    

So  customer can  log  in to buy online same time   to get some knowledge / Info from  the website.

Rgds

TF2018