cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
runforfun7
Novice

Plugin will not update

Hello,

I've noticed in the past few months when updating plugins on my site that it would often take so long that the maintenance screen would come up and it would take minutes for the site to come back up.  Yesterday I tried update a few plugins and nearly all failed after taking a few long time in maintenance mode.  This seems to have gotten worse over the last few WordPress upgrades I feel.  I tried renameing my plugin folder and creating a new one.  I then installed an older version of my backup plugin.  When I went to update it, the site went into maintenance mode for a long time and failed to update the plugin.  I could see many of the usual files and folders under that plugin were not there after the attempted update.  Not sure what to do at this point if I can't even get one plugin to update when no other plugins were installed.  I've been using the Customizer child theme.  That has been the case for over a year.  Any help is appreciated.

Thank You

4 REPLIES
Pro Community Founder Mentor Pro Community Founder Mentor
Pro Community Founder Mentor

Re: Plugin will not update

@runforfun7,

Can you give us more information? Sometimes that gives a clue as to the issue.

Which hosting package are you using? Managed WordPress, cPanel, etc. 

Which version of WordPress are you running? 

Is the problem when updating ANY plug-in or only some of them?

runforfun7
Novice

Managed WordPress and version is 4.6.1.  Some plugins will update, but anything that would be what I would call a larger plugin (ie WooCommerce, Paid Memberships Pro or UpDraft) does not seem to successfully update.  I was able to update this plugin, Black Studio TinyMCE Widget.

Pro Community Founder Mentor Pro Community Founder Mentor
Pro Community Founder Mentor

OK. Great that you are on Managed WP and the latest version. 

Here's what I would try next. Disable ALL plug-ins. Now try to install updates on one of the ones that would not update before. Does it update? If so, great. Then update another plug-in. If it updates, keep going. At some point, I'm guessing you will have enabled two plug-ins that have a conflict, and then updates will stop working. 

If you can figure out which one causes the conflict, maybe it's one you can do without, or can find an equivalent substitute.

Sorry, this is not always a fast process, because you have to be methodical and try combinations. I've been through it before, so I know that it DOES happen sometimes. And the solution is usually to figure out a substitute for the one that is causing the problems. 

jcvegan
Novice

I have the same problem. I desactivated all plugins, restore the default theme. Then try to update a single plugin by selecting on the available updates list and select "Update", then submit Apply button. And get this error (using Developer tools):

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'replace' of undefined
at Object.b.updates.updatePlugin (load-scripts.php?c=0&load[]=hoverIntent,common,admin-bar,underscore,wp-util,wp-a11y,updates,jquery-ui-core,thickbox,plugin-install,svg-painter,heartbeat,wp-&load[]=auth-check&ver=4.8.2:12)
at Object.b.updates.queueChecker (load-scripts.php?c=0&load[]=hoverIntent,common,admin-bar,underscore,wp-util,wp-a11y,updates,jquery-ui-core,thickbox,plugin-install,svg-painter,heartbeat,wp-&load[]=auth-check&ver=4.8.2:12)
at HTMLInputElement.<anonymous> (load-scripts.php?c=0&load[]=hoverIntent,common,admin-bar,underscore,wp-util,wp-a11y,updates,jquery-ui-core,thickbox,plugin-install,svg-painter,heartbeat,wp-&load[]=auth-check&ver=4.8.2:12)
at HTMLFormElement.dispatch (load-scripts.php?c=0&load[]=jquery-core,jquery-migrate,utils&ver=4.8.2:3)
at HTMLFormElement.r.handle (load-scripts.php?c=0&load[]=jquery-core,jquery-migrate,utils&ver=4.8.2:3)

If I follow the update steps from the admin bar, I noticed the update process is loading on an iframe. Displaying a message that the updating is excecuting, but I am not able to see the spinner gif and after waiting for a response (which never happend, no matter how much time I wait - like 4 hours), it never updates. Wordpress enter on mantainance mode, left mantainance mode and no plugin updates. 

What is happening?

I repeat, no plugin or theme is activated.