cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Using forwarder on email

I am trying to forward email to a list and then that email has a forwarder which is a list. So for example I created a forwarder called everyone which forwards to a several email addressed like hr and accounting engineering. It works once the group called everyone and then further email to that address seems to get bounced but email to say the engineering group always works. I an trying to do this so I only have to add a users email to the appropriate group and not to multiple. When I trace using cpanel it appears that it will do what I want but as I stated it works once after I create the tope level email account then any subsequent email bounces

7 REPLIES 7
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Using forwarder on email

@Dfbaker 

I guess I'm a little confused by this so I have some questions for clarification....

What is your domain?

What are you using for your email system (it seems like you are saying cPanel but just double checking)

Just to confirm what you are tying to setup (example)

Staff@domain.com Forwards to dept1@domain.com, dept2@domain.com and dept3@domain.com

dept1@domain.com forwards to person1@domain.com and person2@domain.com

Same for dept2 & 3 but with different people.

If you send an email directly to dept1, 2 or 3 it works, but if you send it to staff@ it is bouncing - is that correct???

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Yes your assumptions are correct. Domain is whitestar.io and I created three email accounts using cpanel as you guessed. For test purposes I created LEVEL1TEST which forwards to level2test which has me as a user dfbaker@whitestar.io. EMAIL to Level2test@whitestar.io works but email to lwvel2test@whitestar.io bounces. The first email after I created level1test@whitestar.io worked as expacted but subsequent emails to level1test bounce but emails to level2test always wirk.

Super User III
Super User III

@Dfbaker 

In looking at your domain - there does not appear to be any MX record setup and that maybe why it isn't working.

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

In theory MX records are not needed anymore, but I tend to agree. I don't know when this changed but used to be if you didn't have MX record you did not get mail period. It was only when the mail server didn't have a dns entry it would fail if the receiving server did a reverse lookup on the sender (added for spaming and fraud stuff.  I will get one added and try it will let you know one way or the other.

Thanks Dave

Super User III
Super User III

@Dfbaker 

Dave - I'm not sure where you heard that MX records aren't needed, but that is 100% false. The MX record is the mail record used to direct mail across the internet. 

What isn't required but highly encouraged is an SPF record (which gets put into a TXT entry in the DNS) - This is used for the spam. 

Reverse Lookups are important, but again not a requirement.

Also as you are on a cPanel server - many people think they need to do the DNS on/in cPanel - this is only the case if you are using the cPanel as your DNS server - in your case you are using the default GoDaddy Servers.

Also on cPanel there is a mail routing option which by default is automatic or local. This is fine if you are hosting your email on the cPanel account - otherwise this needs to be set to remote.

Thanks just spent some time learning about cpanel and web hosting's current state of the art. Still learning LOL Yes I agree with you on MX records just that something is reporting an MX record for the domain even though there is now one directlt on the domain. When I add one it complains so researching that further or I may need to call go daddy support -:)

Super User III
Super User III
Solution

@Dfbaker
If you go to https://dcc.godaddy.com/manage/whitestar.io/dns this is where you need to manage the dns