cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

How to use domain email address with hotmail?

I have a domain with Godaddy.

I have an existing Hotmail account I have used for years. 

My goal is to create an email address for my domain, but simply point it to my existing Hotmail account, so I don't have to manage a different account/inbox, etc.

I have found a few videos on Youtube and some of the posts here in the community, but some of the content looks old. (The settings and UI inside of outlook.com is different than the videos).

I *think* I need the following information:

• MX record values for Hotmail
  • POP3/IMAP settings that GoDaddy uses. 

Am I on the right track? If so, can someone help point me to the information I need?

Thanks!

-Dan-

5 REPLIES 5
Super User III
Super User III

Re: How to use domain email address with hotmail?

@dan5150 

Dan - You are actually mixing some different things in what you were searching.

If you just want to forward your email from the domain to hotmail, you will need to set up a forwarding address - You should be able to set this up via https://wcc.godaddy.com

Then the GoDaddy system will forward any emails sent to that address to your hotmail account.

You shouldn't need to add anything to outlook and if you haven't adjusted your dns settings you shouldn't have to touch anything there. 

MX Records & POP / IMAP is when you actually setup a new mailbox on an email system

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Thanks! That is helpful, but in order to use the Workspace Control Center, it looks like I need to sign up for even the most basic email support. 

I was under the (maybe incorrect) impression that I wouldn't need to sign up for anything extra if I wanted to simply use an existing email solution, but just redirecting my custom domain email to my existing hotmail. That's what was leading me down the "MX record" path.

-Dan-

Super User III Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Now that Hotmail has been taken over by Outlook.com they want you to have a premium plan with them in order to connect a domain name.

If you don't, domain registration at GoDaddy comes with a free pack of email forwarding.  This would be a one-way solution as you could receive email for that address but it wouldn't send email from that address.

Thanks Nate. "comes with a free pack of email forwarding". Can you please point me where I can enable this? I have a few domains registered and I can't find where to configure this anywhere. 

Super User III Super User III
Super User III