cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Helper I

How easy is it to migrate from GoDaddy O365 to Microsoft O365?

I have had a GoDaddy O365 account for the last year, am not happy with it, and am contemplating migrating to Microsoft O365 soon, using my GoDaddy-hosted domain name. Apparently a wizard exists to change the DNS records:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/You-can-quickly-add-a-GoDaddy-domain-to-Office-365-ec6f4bd8...

I'm just wondering if anyone has done this before and what the gotchas are.

11 REPLIES 11
Resolver II
Solution

Re: How easy is it to migrate from GoDaddy O365 to Microsoft O365?

Hey!
It is important to know that directly moving the data and subscription of one tenant (GoDaddy in this example) to another (Microsoft) is not feasible. You may manually remove the domain from the Office 365 tenant in GoDaddy, cancel the Office 365 subscription, then purchase an Office 365 subscription in Microsoft, and add the domain into this Office 365 subscription.

Here is how you get started:
1. If you are using the Outlook client now, exporting and importing the pst files may be a good choice.

Here are two articles for reference:

Export mail, contacts and calendars to an Outlook .PST file.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Export-or-backup-email-contacts-and-calendar-to-an-Outlook-...

Import email, contacts, and calendar from an Outlook .pst file

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Import-email-contacts-and-calendar-from-an-Outlook-pst-file...

Here are the steps to change your subscription from GoDaddy to Microsoft:
1. Back up your emails from GoDaddy.
2. Remove your custom domain from the Essentials plan.
3. Cancel (delete) your Office 365 plan in GoDaddy.
4. Purchase an Office 365 plan from Microsoft directly.
5. Add and verify your domain in Office 365.
6. Import your emails to Microsoft with pst files.
7. All done!
Helper I

Yes, I presumed that I would need to back up my data, cancel one account, and open another account. Fortunately, I already use a combo of Outlook Online and a .pst file and don't have an overwhelming amount of data in GoDaddy O365.

How do I remove my custom domain from GoDaddy O365? Do I need to do that via O365?

Did you ever get a response as to how to remove your domain?

You must call go daddy to delete the microsoft 365 tenant. Make sure you moved your data to a pst or have a microsoft partner move the data for you. 

Any idea how long it takes between steps 3 and 5? I have rung up and they removed the email account and said this would also remove the domain. When I have moved domains from O365 -> O365 before it has worked pretty much straight away. I still can't apply the domain to the new tenant 3 hours later...

What did it end up being for you, time between the delete and available for a new tenant?

We're at 5 hours here and still waiting, since calling and having support remove our domain... wondering what's normal. While they said it could take up to a day, I'm wondering if we are just waiting for someone in ops to complete a ticket, or what... with standard O365 tenants you can move a disassociated domain to a new tenant very quickly (within 10 minutes)...

Moving the mail, calendar etc. by exporting a pst file then importing it seems rather straight forward.  How do you easily move settings data, such as groups, policies etc from GoDaddy to MSFT?  Of course you can do that manually, which is time consuming and may not be error proof.

New

Did anyone have any luck being credited or refunded for the amount paid to GoDaddy?  I just realized that the discounted renewal "deal" that GoDaddy offered us is still more expensive than the standard rate offered by Microsoft.

Highlighted

Hi,

Quick question for those who completed the migration from GoDaddy to Microsoft Office 365. 

How long did it take in the end for GoDaddy support to cancel the O365 account allowing you to set it up with Microsoft? I am just trying to do some downtime planning.

Thanks

Tring this and it seems the HUGE caveat is that the domain name switching doesn't work with the Home versions of 365 :-(

Struggling with this just now

Office 365 Home does NOT support custom e-mail domains. For that you will need Office 365 Business (and Premium if you want MSFT to also host your mail server, including all Office apps, 1 TB storage, etc).
The Office 365 Business (no mail hosting) is currently $8.25/month, the O365 Business Premium (added mail hosting) is $12.50/month. If only wanting access to the mail services but no Office desktop apps, O365 Business Essentials is $5.00/month.