cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Godaddy email forwarders not working when sending from php mail

I have an email forwarder set up on my GoDaddy account, which works fine when sending from an individual email account, but when I sent to it from a PHP script, it never gets received.

Here are a few additional details (I feel like the first two items here might be key in figuring out the answer):

• The email forwarder is set up on a GoDaddy account with a domain name. The Website for this domain name is hosted on another godaddy account. The nameservers set on the Domain name account are the default name servers (The website is working properly, because both accounts are GoDaddy).

• I have tried setting the email forwarder up on the hosting account instead of the domain name account. Interestingly, the email then does receive emails from php mail, but it does not receive emails sent directly from an email account. Instead, I get the error message "Your message wasn't delivered to name@xxx.com because the address couldn't be found, or is unable to receive mail."

• I can successfully send an email to any other email account from the same php script, so the problem is not my php mail function

• I had made some changes to MX records at one point, but then changed them back. A GoDaddy support tech said that they were correct and should work

• I've spent lots of time with Godaddy support, they said that they can not help me since the email forwarder is "working" when sent from a regular email account.

I think a good starting point would be if somebody knows definitively whether the email forwarder should be set up on the domain account or the hosting account. 

Thank you!

8 REPLIES 8
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Godaddy email forwarders not working when sending from php mail

@dancingpaul 

This may sound like an obvious question give your details below... but it sounds like you are using a cPanel server - did you check the mail routing settings to make sure it is set to remote?

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

What do you mean by "Mail Routing Settings"? Where would I find this?

Super User III
Super User III

@dancingpaul 

Are you using cPanel?

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Yes. I'm using cPanel to create my forwarding email addresses.

Super User III
Super User III

@dancingpaul 

Ok - So let's step back for a minute....

1) What is your domain name??

2) Have you setup the email address which forwards on the cPanel server or in the GoDaddy WorkSpace system??

Feel free to post a screen shot as well.

Sorry. I was getting all of my control panels and domains mixed up. I did, in fact, set this up in the Workspace Control Center, not from within cpanel. (I didn't realize it was called that until I just logged back in). This is part of the "Free Account forwarding with domain" that comes with the domain name purchase. I do not have cPanel on this account because the domain name is the only product on the account.

The domain name is www.missjennyshotsauce.com

Super User III
Super User III
Solution

@dancingpaul 

The website is on a cPanel server (it maybe and add-on domain).

What you need to do is to go onto that server and under mail, there is a mail routing option - by default it is usually set to auto or local - you need to change it to remote - otherwise when the server (website) tries to send an email to an address at the domain it tries to deliver it to mailbox on the server itself

It looks like that did the trick! Thank you for walking me through that. I was not aware of the Mail Routing option (apparently neither is their tech support). Thank you.