cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain Forwarding with email

I have two domains, thuuursley.co.uk and threehorseshoesthursley.co.uk.  I have a domain forwarding entry for threehorseshoesthursley.co.uk to pub.thuuursley.co.uk.  This works fine for the web. 

I have created an email account info@threehorseshoesthursley.co.uk.  I can send from this account with no problem but can not receive.  Should this work or do I need to make the DNS forwarding point at the main URL (ie thuuursley.co.uk)? Does email work with DNS forwarding?

3 REPLIES 3
Retired
Not applicable

Hi @threehsweb,

You need to simplify things here. You have basically 3 domains:

1. thuuursley.co.uk
  2. (sub domain) pub.thuuursley.co.uk
  3. .....and threehorseshoesthursley.co.uk

------------------

I can find a MX record for:

1. threehorseshoesthursley.co.uk which is mail server 

mail.threehorseshoesthursley.co.uk. and priority 0 

2. thuuusley.co.uk 

mail.thuuursley.co.uk. which also has priority 0

I can connect to thuuusley.co.uk mail server.

Difficulty connecting to threehorseshoesthursley.co.uk mail server.

So your main site thuuusley.co.uk email should work, and also  info@threehorseshoesthursley.co.uk. would probably work were it not then trying to forward to pub.thuuursley.co.uk where there is no MX record it seems. You either have to copy the MX record from threehorseshoesthursley.co.uk to pub.thuuursley.co.uk, or create a new email for pub.thuuursley.co.uk. 

But I wouldn't confuse things...............

Hope that made sense?

hi rammsteinium, thanks for the quick reply.  I looked at setting up the MX record for pub.thuuursley.co.uk but there isn't a DNS entry for  it in my account.  Though I have set the sub domain up in CPanel it does not show in DNS as a sub domain.

I have set up an email address info@pub.thuuursley.co.uk and that can send to info@threehorseshoesthursley.co.uk but external email addresses can not.

I even tried changing the MX record on threehorseshoesthursley.co.uk to point at mail.thuuursley.co.uk but that does not seem to work.

Retired
Not applicable

Hi @threehsweb,

My suggestion is to simplify and chose main domain and have say 3 email addresses set up from that one main domain. Say for example: info@mainDomain.com, bookings@mainDomain.com, newsLetter@mainDomain.com.

I can connect to thuuursley.co.uk and I guess that was your first site. You can still forward this site and as long as you kept the MX records untouched then mail would work. You have simply got a little mixed up in the records trying to create separate email addresses all linking and forwarding for each domain. The best way to do that is to add an email service for each domain (because you want each email address to reflect the site address).

Much better to have one main site and one main MX server and if you can you just copy this MX record into your other domains,( except if email load is too great for server, then it's best divided amongst more servers) or simple direct mail to main site, info@mainDomain.co.uk.