cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help with domain url change and have it sync to weebly

This may sound like a stupid question but am thinking of changing my domain url to something shorter and easier to remember. The problem or shall say fear I have is changing it and weebly not syncing the new change. am I able to update the weebly side of my account if i change the domain name with go daddy and if so, how do i start this and what should i do

4 REPLIES 4
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: help with domain url change and have it sync to weebly

Hi @love4moz. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! In your situation I'd suggest taking steps in this order:

1. Register your new domain. 
  2. Find out what DNS you need to use with Weebly and point the new domain to it.*
  3. Change the domain on Weebly.*
    *You may need to contact Weebly regarding steps 2 and 3.

Once you have the new domain in place, you can consider what to do with the old domain. If you receive a lot of traffic from the old domain or have marketing materials out with the domain on it, you'll likely want to keep it for a while and redirect it to the new site. We do have a free domain forwarding service you can use in some cases. However, this service will not work if your customers will be visiting the domain using the HTTPS protocol. Our forwarding service will not forward such requests currently, and you'd need to find another way to redirect the domain. For example, if you have ads that link customers to https://yourdomain.com, these would not work. However, if you've only used http://yourdomain.com or just your domain.com, then it may work for you. I hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Hi Jesse so I am a bit nervous to do this, so i got the new domain through go daddy (durtysoap.com) so next weebly would need to advise me of the dns server? Wouldnt that dns server already be on my pre exsisting account info for the current domain i wanted to change from? 

Community Manager
Community Manager

@love4moz - It's possible that you'd just use the same nameservers that your current domain is using. However, I would still verify that with Weebly just to be safe. It's possible that they would assign the new domain a different set of nameservers. Better safe than sorry. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

@JesseWthank you, for now i just have the new domain forwarded to the old site and masking the url till i get more confidence with making a more permanent decision