cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Registrar Registration Expiration Date vs Registry Expiry Date

A domain that I have been watching has expired according to the "Registrar Registration Expiration Date" on the Standard Whois.

I then looked at the "Registry Expiry Date" in the Underlying Whois and see a date that is 1 year later.

The domain has passed through a few of the normal steps for an expired domain, the domain nameservers were changed to NS59-60.DOMAINCONTROL.COM.

Earlier today the address and other information for the domain Registrant, Admin and Technical was changed to;

Registrant Street: c/o GoDaddy Redemption Services
Registrant Street: 14455 N. Hayden Road, Suite 219
Registrant City: Scottsdale
Registrant State/Province: AZ
Registrant Postal Code: 85260

but the Registrant name remains as the original.

What is the meaning of the "Registry Expiry Date" in the Underlying Whois being 1 year later?

I called Godaddy and got a "maybe it has something to do with....."?

My guess is that when Godaddy registers the domain it adds a year to the registration to allow time if a Registrant should happen to miss renewing on time.

If you know for certain what the implications of the 1 year difference is, please let me know.

3 REPLIES 3
Super User I
Super User I

Re: Registrar Registration Expiration Date vs Registry Expiry Date

@SteveJewels wrote:

A domain that I have been watching has expired according to the "Registrar Registration Expiration Date" on the Standard Whois.

I then looked at the "Registry Expiry Date" in the Underlying Whois and see a date that is 1 year later.

The domain has passed through a few of the normal steps for an expired domain, the domain nameservers were changed to NS59-60.DOMAINCONTROL.COM.

Earlier today the address and other information for the domain Registrant, Admin and Technical was changed to;

Registrant Street: c/o GoDaddy Redemption Services
Registrant Street: 14455 N. Hayden Road, Suite 219
Registrant City: Scottsdale
Registrant State/Province: AZ
Registrant Postal Code: 85260

but the Registrant name remains as the original.

What is the meaning of the "Registry Expiry Date" in the Underlying Whois being 1 year later?

I called Godaddy and got a "maybe it has something to do with....."?

My guess is that when Godaddy registers the domain it adds a year to the registration to allow time if a Registrant should happen to miss renewing on time.

If you know for certain what the implications of the 1 year difference is, please let me know.

@SteveJewels The date that you are showing in the whois is the expiration date for the domain. Around 20-30 days after the expiration date it will go into a godaddy auction for 10 days, if there are no bids the domain will be dropped from the central registry in around 45 days from the expiration date.

---

This is the question. Why are there two expiration dates that are a year apart?

Super User I
Super User I
Solution

@SteveJewels wrote:

This is the question. Why are there two expiration dates that are a year apart?

@SteveJewels Godaddy may add a year temporarily while it goes through the auction process but the underlying whois data doesnt really matter, no other whois has underlying data except Godaddy. Go to another registrar and use their whois and you'll see the expiration date as the correct one, not with the year added.

---