Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Having problems adding Mailchimp's suggested CNAME record

Mailchimp have suggested adding a CNAME record as following to the DNS records

Record TypeNameValue/DataTTL

CNAME Recordk1._domainkey.yoursite.comdkim.mcsv.net

I am not without experience in these matters and have replaced the 'yoursite.com' with the domain name and as far as I can tell have done everything ok .... but it replies with this

An unexpected error occurred. If this issue continues, contact support.

Chat is currently offline so I thought I would ask the question here and see if anyone has had similar problems

Simon

23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted
Employee
Employee
Solution

Re: Having problems adding Mailchimp's suggested CNAME record

Hi gallerysimon,

Sorry to hear about the error when adding the cname record. I have a suggestion that may help resolve the issue when adding you cname record to your dns zone file. 

When adding the record you may need to remove the "yoursite.com" section from the record as the cname will already be created as a subdomain of your primary domain. This means when adding the record in the host section it should be added as k1._domainkey only and not k1._domainkey.yourdomainname.com. I also tried this on a test domain to ensure the record would save properly. Below I have also pasted a screenshot of how to properly submit the cname record.   If for any reason you continue to recieve and error after adding the record please contact our 24/7 customer support line so that our representatives may further research the error. 

dkim.png

Hope this helps!

-Techfly

Hello!

I have the same problem, when I tried to add CNAME from your instruction I see the error: "An unexpeced error occurred. If this issue continues, concat support".

How can I fix it?

alice
Novice

I have the same problem as alexkartashev

mbenoit
Novice

Same issue here!

Hey @mbenoit@alice@alexkartashev,

If you're each still encountering this error trying to update the DNS settings, you'll need to contact our live support so our team can help investigate into what is causing this error to occur. 

Let us know what they find? Possible they may just need to escalate it up as an account specific issue to get the DNS updated for you. 

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support
spiritsoul
Novice

SOLVED problems adding Mailchimp's suggested CNAME record

This worked for me with MailChimp CNAME and GoDaddy (finally) taking out the (yourdomainname) after k1._domainkey 

So, it's

Host:    k1._domainkey

Points to:     dkim.mcsv.net.

At first I did get an error, but just kept changing things (adding '.', deleting '.' at the the end) and then it finally took.  IMPORTANT NOTE:  Once it's good and you click 'Finish' you MUST also click 'Save Changes' near the top (usually highlighted in red a second or so after clicking 'Finish).  

Also, if your adding the TXT file to your domain.

Host:    (put in your domain name, i.e. xxx.com)  - when saved Godaddy will change it to '@'

TEXT Value:   v=spf1 include:servers.mcsv.net ?all    (make sure to add the space after spf1 and net)

Again, Finish > Save Changes  - this is from my experience as I kept adding it with 'Finish' thinking I was done and it would disappear.  I didn't see the 'save changes' near the top. 

AP3
Novice

Re: SOLVED problems adding Mailchimp's suggested CNAME record

This solution worked for us. Thanks spiritsoul !

ghoulton
Novice

Having the same issue but getting the error: The specified CNAME already exists in the zone.

Did anyone get that?

persuasiveK
Novice

I am having the same issue.

I've tried adding the CNAME both ways (with and without the site) and I get a "The specified CNAME already exists in the zone." error.  I haven't had this issue in the past on other domains, so I'm wondering what the issue is now?

Maloty
Novice

I'm having exactly the same issue, nothing seems to work, following all the threads in this chat and any advice from MailChimp. I'm continuing to get the error "The specified CNAME already exists in the zone."

JanuaryMade
Novice

Did you get any help with this at all? I am having the same problem!

I found using the shopify store domain, not my custom domain for the TXT record worked. As for the CNAME, just do as outlined above.

this worked for me:

For CNAME:

k1._domainkey.yourdomainname 

^ dont insert the . or .com after that. 

dkim.mcsv.net

^ as it is. 

For the TXT file:

domainame 

^ dont insert the . or .com after that. 

v=spf1 include:servers.mcsv.net ?all

^ make sure the spaces are there. 

profitzup
Novice

This is the fix that finally worked!  Thx

DNS problem, CNAME and TXT From Mailchimp not working

Hello,
I have recently tried adding the CNAME and TXT records for Mailchimp for my domain, but I get an error stating "this specified record already exists" although it does not. I had to type in the same thing for "host" in both a mailchimp record and mailgun record. I'm wondering if that's possibly the problem, and how to fix it so that I can use my domain for mailchimp. This is what I am trying to do:

DKIM: Create a CNAME record for k1._domainkey.shopambrosiacandles.com with this value:

dkim.mcsv.net

SPF: Create a TXT record for shopambrosiacandles.com with:

v=spf1 include:servers.mcsv.net ?all

I did, I still haven't solved the issue

Thank you so much! This one actually worked for me! I thought I was at a loss there.

loganlape
Novice

Mailchimp API Error: akamai_503

I've been receiving an error connecting to the Mailchimp API as of late (it was working for a quite a while before, no changes to how things are setup). This is through the logging function of Gravity Forms plugin installed in Wordpress, though this is not Managed Wordpress Hosting.

Unable to authenticate with MailChimp; akamai_503 

The 503 Service Unavailable error seems to indicate that our IP has become blocked in the MailChimp firewall. Akamai is the firewall MailChimp and many other major websites use to protect their servers.

I understand that because we are on a shared server, then even if one user hosted on the same server abuses MailChimp systems, then the server IP is blocked. 

1. Is there a way to confirm that this is what is happening?

2. I ask if we can to move our hosting to another server / IP ?

3. If that is not possible, what is the process for moving to a dedicated IP?

References to similar problems:

https://wordpress.org/support/topic/error-503-service-unavailable-8/

https://wordpress.org/support/topic/akamai_503/

Thank you,

Logan

webinks
Novice

I had the same issue after updating the records it showed contact support. after multiple attempts i finally refreshed the page and found the records were added. So even if you get the error after adding the records to contact support try refreshing the page and see if the record is added.

Webinks.co
fatpanda
Novice

This worked for me. Thanks so much for posting this solution.

drumguy419
Novice

I have been trying to solve this problem and researching for the past 3 days. This fixed it! Thanks!

Redirector
Novice

Hi all,

I would just like to share my solution, a combination of multiple people's solutions with official GoDaddy (my domainname host) and MailChimp literature. Neither company's people were able to help me, so this was trial and error.

Best.

CNAME RECORD:

TYPE            NAME                     VALUE

CNAME         k1._domainkey        dkim.mcsv.net

TXT RECORD:

TYPE            NAME                     VALUE

TXT                     @                     v=spf1 include:servers.mcsv.net ?all

The_One
Novice

This worked for me when all else failed. Mail chimp's instructions are simply incorrect for GoDaddy. The TXT box needs @, not your domain name.