cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

Domain Backorder vs Auction

Hi,

I got an email notice of a domain I want to purchase. Email from GoDaddy states "Take a look at this recommended domain on auction right now. The auction ends 2019-04-11 13:10:00. If you're the highest bidder, the domain is yours."

I just backordered the domain. Do I still need to participate in the auction?

What's the difference between doing the backorder vs just placing a bid in auction?

What are my next steps after backordering?

2 REPLIES 2
Super User II
Super User II
Solution

Re: Domain Backorder vs Auction

@aub50 wrote:

Hi,

I got an email notice of a domain I want to purchase. Email from GoDaddy states "Take a look at this recommended domain on auction right now. The auction ends 2019-04-11 13:10:00. If you're the highest bidder, the domain is yours."

I just backordered the domain. Do I still need to participate in the auction?

What's the difference between doing the backorder vs just placing a bid in auction?

What are my next steps after backordering?

@aub50  There's a big difference between an auction and a backorder. If the domain is currently at auction and you're interested in purchasing the domain you'll want to bid on it. A backorder is just a way of trying to capture the domain once it has been deleted from the registry. Godaddy backorders are pretty much a joke. I had a backorder credit I wanted to use up so I backordered a random domain a client wanted with it, once the domain was dropped from the registry I received an email from Godaddy saying the backorder was unsuccessful. When I looked it up to see who got the domain it was still available for registration so I registered it at regular registration costs...anyway, your best bet is to bid in the auction and keep an eye on it so you're not outbid.

----

New

Re: Domain Backorder vs Auction

Thank you for the advice @justingodfrey!