• Managed WordPress Hosting
  • Managed WordPress Hosting

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    New

wp cron - Does it not work in managed WP?

datafeedr hang up after every task and misses cron times without restarting. Have reset cron but still not working. Thinking this is a managed WP block on wp-cron

7 REPLIES 7
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

Re: wp cron - Does it not work in managed WP?

Hi @Oldpat. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! 

Managed WordPress uses wp-cron to schedule posts, so it's definitely not blocked. I'm not sure what would be causing the issue you're seeing, but if you can provide more information, others in the community may be able to suggest a solution.

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

You say wp-cron works on managed wordpress and Kristy says: Cron jobs are not an option on our Managed WordPress hosting accounts.

So please tell me which is correct. Because I am having the same problem with brand new website.

It is obvious that one of you has no clue. See the post bellow.

Solution 

Re: Error with Cron Jobs on my Managed Wordpress

Cron jobs are not an option on our Managed WordPress hosting accounts. If you are wanting this functionality, you will need to use something like GoDaddy Linux cPanel hosting which would allow you to install WordPress and run your cron jobs..

https://www.godaddy.com/hosting/web-hosting

KristyW - GoDaddy | Community Moderator 
    24/7 support available at x.co/247support
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

Hi @reactbiz. Thanks for posting. What @KristyW was referring to is the interface to add/remove cron jobs on Managed WordPress accounts. You would not be able to manually add or change them. WP-Cron does work on its own normally. However, that doesn't mean that it can't have problems. With the thread in question and this one, if you're seeing an issue with wp-cron not working properly, I'd encourage you to connect with our hosting support team so they can take a look at what's going on. Sometimes the cron service just needs to be restarted. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Thanks Jesse,

I am realising now that what I want to do is not going to work with Godaddy managed WordPress. I am building automated curation sites (at least 10 of them) which work with RSS feed. I cannot have something which works then stops.

One thing you could help, by telling me if cron jobs service like www.setcronjob.com would work with Managed WordPress. And if it does what do I have to do?

Regards

Mike

Community Manager
    Community Manager

@reactbiz - I'm not familiar with that service or how it works, so I'm unable to say for sure if it would be a solution for you. It may work if it somehow integrates with wp-cron. To my knowledge, there's no way to create a cron job on a Managed WordPress plan via SSH. Sorry I can't give you a more definitive answer. 

With All other  managed WordPress providers (like WP Engine) cron jobs are working without problem. They even have tutorials about it. Godaddy is an exception. Unfortunately I have service with Godaddy, which I have regretted from day one. Appalling, appalling company.

Employee
    Employee
    Solution

@reactbiz  Thank you for your feedback. 

I do want to let you know that cron is running on the back-end.  This is what allows you to schedule ahead posts at later point in time.  However, this isn't a true cron experience, allowing you to make/determine cron location, running times, etc, like you'd find on a cpanel hosting account.

Please find out the system requirements needed for your cron jobs, give support a call with the system requirements, and we can get you lined up on the correct hosting account for accessing and manipulating the cron options.

All the best,
    Edward
    GoDaddy Hosting Support