cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    New

Wordpress Multisite & Domain Mapping

Hi guys,

I have read almost every article on this on the forums but none seem to point me in the right direction.

I'm using the latest version of Wordpress and already set up the multisite access and want to set up domain mapping natively (since this is supported WP 4.5+). 

I am not sure how to configure my secondary domain details to work with my multisite network setup. The first website which is used and setup from the get go works. But not the second domain I am trying to connect it up with.

Both domains and hosting are all through GoDaddy. I think I need to adjust my DNS records, but I am unsure on what the correct values should be? 

Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
    Helper VI
    Helper VI

Re: Wordpress Multisite & Domain Mapping

Hi @lenOx_, welcome to the community! 🙂

Can you clear it up for me?

You have domain1.com and domain2.com.

You have a WP multisite install, which uses domain1.com as the primary domain, right?

What about domain2.com?

What do you want to accomplish with that domain?

If you find my replies helpful, give me a like or kudo 🙂
    And if I solved your issue, mark it as solution 😄
    New

Hi there, thanks for the super quick reply!

Yes that is correct. And I would like to set up domain2.com.au site to use the same WordPress installation, but obviously serve another set of pages as thought it's a totally seperate site. I've added it already in the interface as far as entering the domain2.com.au URL and that's it.

The goal is to use the multisite functionality for 2 of my domains:
    Domain1 is a blog WordPress
    Domain2 will only be a one pager website using the existing WordPress setup and themes to create this. This way I can have the essential the same template for both domains.
    Helper VI
    Helper VI

@lenOx_ Oh, I get it.

So you want to use one install as blog (with domain1) and the same install as a different site (with domain2).

Did you know that you can do it with Donncha's MU domain mapping plugin?

You have to edit a little code, and add a CNAME in your DNS, but it seems pretty straightforward.

EDIT: I forgot to add this link with the install process. 

Hope it helps!

If you find my replies helpful, give me a like or kudo 🙂
    And if I solved your issue, mark it as solution 😄
    New

Hi @jpablo,

Thanks again for the reply. Yes I did see this one. And I chose not to use it because WordPress docs have mentioned that this has become native in 4.5+, so for that reason I haven't used it.

Source: https://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Multisite_Domain_Mapping

Call it the ODC in me, but I preferred to have this done natively, rather than use another additional plugin. 

Otherwise, I will give this plugin a shot tomorrow. 

New

Update!

I installed the plugin, and it's given me further options.

I believe I have configured the Wordpress settings correctly, but for the secondary domain, I pointed the A record to my server, but I still get the default GoDaddy "Coming Soon" page. 

I am not sure what else I am doing wrong here....it works perfectly using the built in subdomain that it assigns. But once I switch it to using my other domain name, I get a Coming Soon page again.

Did you ever get this working? I'm trying both with and without the plugin and it's driving me crazy that I can't find a solution anywhere and it won't work.

New

Hey mate. 

I think it's to do with the fact of having a basic hosting plan. You will need the support for the add on domains and add them to a single cPanel account. 

I haven't done this yet, but I plan to to see if it works. 

I am pretty sure the issue is that the domain you want to map to your site must be an alias, not an add-on domain.  I haven't used the MU plugin on GoDaddy, but I have on Host Gator shared account and it works fine with an alias.  Pretty simple in HG to delete the add-on domain and add it as an alias.

Also, the multi-site and plug-in has to be installed in the root directory.

Solution

Managed WordPress does not support Multi-Site functionality at this time. If you require this option,, you will want to look into our Linux cPanel Deluxe Hosting. You can install WordPress and set up multi site that way. You can check out our plans, pricing, and information here: https://www.godaddy.com/hosting/web-hosting

KristyW - GoDaddy | Community Moderator | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.