• How to Market Your Business
  • How to Market Your Business

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

Demo websites within my main website

Hello everyone. First post in these forums. Also, a relatively new web designer. Either no one has addressed this topic or my google and forum fu are failing badly. For years, I have had the idea of creating a website that, when completed, would have a section of demo sites, that a customer could login and see an altered version of their current website. If they liked it, we could then migrate that sub site to replace their current website. I must not be using the correct terminology for searching. This sounds simple to me, but no one is talking about it. I do not seem even to be able to locate a place where I could change the theme of my main website to a new theme inside those sub-pages to accommodate that concept. Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
    Super User IV

@Darlgon 

I am going to assume for purpose of this discussion that you are running WordPress. There is a plugin https://wordpress.org/plugins/jonradio-multiple-themes/ that allows for running multiple themes on one site - sort of to "preview" as  you are describing it. The issue is many themes today have their own advanced control panels / plugins that need to be active in order to work properly and so trying to do this doesn't always work well.

Many "managed" hosting providers will provide you with a staging site where you can make a copy swap out themes as you wish and then copy that back over to the new website.

If you are on a shared hosting account, you could do this manually. 

Your original question was doing this via your "main" site and pulling a client's site into it, unless everything you've done is hard coded or somehow your main site has coding to read from an external database, I really don't see an easy way to accomplish without a significant amount of coding what your original question was. 

The methods I described above are fairly simple / standard and what most people that I've worked with will do

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
    Super User IV

@Darlgon 

I am going to assume for purpose of this discussion that you are running WordPress. There is a plugin https://wordpress.org/plugins/jonradio-multiple-themes/ that allows for running multiple themes on one site - sort of to "preview" as  you are describing it. The issue is many themes today have their own advanced control panels / plugins that need to be active in order to work properly and so trying to do this doesn't always work well.

Many "managed" hosting providers will provide you with a staging site where you can make a copy swap out themes as you wish and then copy that back over to the new website.

If you are on a shared hosting account, you could do this manually. 

Your original question was doing this via your "main" site and pulling a client's site into it, unless everything you've done is hard coded or somehow your main site has coding to read from an external database, I really don't see an easy way to accomplish without a significant amount of coding what your original question was. 

The methods I described above are fairly simple / standard and what most people that I've worked with will do

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post