cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Privacy Policy Data Hosting details for GDPR

Having just signed up and published my first web site I realise I need to ensure I have a Privacy Policy.  From my own perspective, my site is very simple and I only ask for name and email address to get in touch with interested parties.  However, when I speak to a legal firm I need to know how the data is hosted, what browsing data is collected, and how it is all stored and accessed.  This can only be confirmed by Go Daddy.

Please can Go Daddy provide all the details necessary for GDPR compliance so that it can be included in my Privacy Policy?  Go Daddy Support pointed me at their own Privacy Policy, but there is no clear deliniation between the Privacy Policy for me as a customer of Go Daddy and that of the users of my website hosted by Go Daddy.  It must be easy for Go Daddy to provide some standard details for each hosting option for what is gathered and how it is stored so we as customers can include the correct infortmation in our Privacy Policies.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Solution

Re: Privacy Policy Data Hosting details for GDPR

Greetings @SKendall , 

We understand you have concerns and you have seen our privacy policy. Next, you can refer to our Terms of Service under "Legal" on the website that provides our own Terms of Service. 

Then there is information on a policy you can add, here: https://www.godaddy.com/help/add-privacy-policy-to-my-website-27891

We also have some more information you might find useful.

Please see: https://www.godaddy.com/help/what-does-gdpr-mean-for-my-business-27935

Beyond that, as much as we'd like to be able to offer a "GDPR in a box" for all, it's just not practical. We are a technology company, not a legal firm, but it's my (our) hope that this information will assist your own legal counsel with protecting your site.

I really hope that helps,

Thomas D. - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support

Thank you for your response.  I have reviewed all the sections you linked to in your reply, but it appears that these are either related to 'how to set up the Privacy Policy' (I find the web builder fantastic by the way), or it is about the Privacy of ‘my’ data as a customer of Go Daddy and not about people using the sites you host.

I fully accept that you are a technical company and not a legal firm.  I fully understand that I need to consult a lawyer to finalise the wording of the Privacy Policy for my own website.  However, I need to be able to tell people who read my Privacy Policy things like (a) the data I collect, (b) where that data is recorded, (c) whether that data is encrypted when stored / transmitted, (d) how they can change that data, (e) that all this data can be removed if they request it, (f) that they can update that data and how, (g) whether that data will be shared with other organisations, (h) what browsing metrics are tracked for people visiting my site etc.

Being very new to Go Daddy, and it really has been an excellent experience so far, perhaps your servers do not store anything whatsoever and all details are emailed straight to me and then deleted (this would explain our crossed wires).  However, the technical question is around what a hosted site does store to a Go Daddy server and how it is secure, how my visitors can have it deleted, updated, confirmed etc.  This is not a legal question this is a technical question as to what your servers collect and store... do you collect just browsing info, in which case please let me know what it is so I can add it to my Privacy Policy.  Is it more; When a visitor to my site fills in the 'Contact Me' page, are any of these details stored at Go Daddy?  How are they transmitted to me (encrypted)?

A simple statement from Go Daddy as to what technically is collected and stored, and how it can be accessed, changed or removed for those who visit hosted sites is what is needed.

I have just completed an 18 month project for a large insurer based in the USA with 14 countries in Europe.  My role was to work with our Lawyers and the countries Third Parties to ensure we were GDPR compliant.  What is needed here (for all Go Daddy EU customers) is a simple technical statement of what Go Daddy collects and stores and how it is managed for people who 'visit' the sites you host.  This should not be difficult.  I am happy to discuss this further off line if it would help.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @SKendall. I just wanted to let you know that I am working with our privacy team to try to get answers to your questions. I will follow up once I have more information for you. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @SKendall. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. If you haven't already seen, we did add some additional information to this article. Please see the links for GoCentral near the bottom. That should hopfully address any additional questions you had. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.