cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Pre-register this domain . How it works ?

I want to register domain in .app zone. Currently it is not available. 

But It says: 

GoDaddy submits your pre-registration when registration opens on Tuesday, May 8, 2018

So if nobody will take this domain on May 8 (through auction) it will be available same day to me 

and I can host site to .app and use it or this can happen in 2 month?

Untitled-1.png

8 REPLIES 8
Super User II
Super User II
Solution

Re: Pre-register this domain . How it works ?

@alezozov wrote:

I want to register domain in .app zone. Currently it is not available. 

But It says: 

GoDaddy submits your pre-registration when registration opens on Tuesday, May 8, 2018

So if nobody will take this domain on May 8 (through auction) it will be available same day to me 

and I can host site to .app and use it or this can happen in 2 month?

Untitled-1.png

@alezozov Correct, if no one pays for a more expensive "pre order" for the domain name then Godaddy will attempt to register the domain name for you once general availability opens. The .app extension is run by Google Registry and the timeline can be seen below:

• Mar 29 - May 1: Trademark holders can register .app domains (known as the "Sunrise" period).
  • May 1 - May 8: Anyone can register available .app domains for an extra fee (known as the "Early Access" period).
  • May 8 and onwards: Anyone can register available .app domains (known as “General Availability").

------

New

And could it happen that two GoDaddy customers pre-register the same domain?
Super User II
Super User II

@BasL wrote:
And could it happen that two GoDaddy customers pre-register the same domain?

@alezozov @BasL I'm assuming that Godaddy will only allow one pre registration per domain but there will be several registrars competing to register the .app domains when they become available so its not just Godaddy you have to worry about, its every registrar that is carrying the .app extensions.

---

New

Thanks Justin. I am still trying to figure out how another GoDaddy customer (an obvious domainsquatter, by the way) got hold of the domain that I had successfully pre-registered with GoDaddy on May 1st. Any ideas?
Super User II
Super User II

@BasL wrote:
Thanks Justin. I am still trying to figure out how another GoDaddy customer (an obvious domainsquatter, by the way) got hold of the domain that I had successfully pre-registered with GoDaddy on May 1st. Any ideas?

@BasL Not sure what you mean by "domain squatter", by definition a domain squatter is someone who purposely registers domain names which include a trademarked term. I own thousands of domains and have been called a domain squatter in the past, which I'm not because I do not own trademarked terms. When you say you "pre registered" what do you mean? Did you put in a pre registration for a .app domain or did you place a backorder on a domain name that may expire in the future and then Godaddy would register it for you? By answering these questions I can give you a better solution.

---

New

The point is: I pre-registered and paid for my .app domain on the 1st of May. On the 5th it was activated, as whois-info shows, registered by a GoDaddy customer. But on the 6th my order got cancelled by GoDaddy. And now it appears like this: http://www.mijn.site/

Hi,

I am in similar situation.

I did the preregistration then I paid for it to Godaddy. When can I start to use my newly bought .app domain?

Please inform me.

Thanks in advance.
Super User II
Super User II

@the1bithu wrote:
Hi,

I am in similar situation.

I did the preregistration then I paid for it to Godaddy. When can I start to use my newly bought .app domain?

Please inform me.

Thanks in advance.

@the1bithu .app domains opened for general availability yesterday, if the domain isn't in your account then your preregistration probably was not successful and you will be refunded.

----