cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Domain Broker Service was a disappointing experience - refunded

Contacted GoDaddy DBS over a month ago for a domain i was interested in, site indicates that a broker gets assigned and a consultation call will be the next step. then nothing, no outreach, no status updates, absolutely no contact of any kind. Because DBS isn't a standard product it doesn't even show in the "Manage My Products" area, only on the Order History. Reach out to support...wait an hour for someone to be available on chat just to be repeatedly told that my broker will contact me soon. After 34 days Broker finally sends an email indicating that they think the budget i put out is too small because the owner of the domain purchased it for a lot more 10 years ago and they're not willing to even engage. Note the domain has remained effectively dark over that entire 10 year period: no real website, contact or MX records were ever configured. DBS Broker makes no apologies for the delays and claims support never reached out, not even a note about being a week over their order SLA. Just a email saying "this isn't worth my time" and issues a refund an hour later. Absolute trash customer service.  I should post on LinkedIn as an example of "how NOT to handle a prospect" and tag the broker.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Unfortunately I didn't even make it as far as the domain owner, the DBS rep basically refused to even reach out to that domain owner as he determined it was a lost cause before starting. At least the refund was quick. If it had made it as far as an unresponsive owner i certainly would shift frustration but the idea that the people i'm paying don't want the work after a month of waiting is insulting. I absolutely will not use GoDaddy DBS again under any circumstance. There's plenty of other domain brokerage services out there to choose from, i only used GD because the domain was registered with them. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Super User II Super User II
Super User II

I understand your frustration @jmitchell2. I used the Domain Broker Service once and seemingly as soon as I hit the buy button the seller of the domain (with whom I had previously emailed) replied to my message. Long story short I was contacted (as the domain owner) with what was perhaps my own buy request?

I also have had an experience with the Domain Broker Service where a seemingly unresponsive domain owner replied to GoDaddy (probably because of name recognition). I have been both buyer and seller many times and I can tell you from experience that the Domain Broker Service is worth what you pay at twice the price.

That being said, when success is measured by getting the domain you want at the cost you want brokers are usually fighting a uphill battle. In my experience the DBS works best with responsive sellers. I have more than a thousand domains in various states of use and contacting every domain query back would be a full-time task?

Just because the broker does not immediately reach out to you doesn't mean they aren't working for you. Having brokered and purchased domains for clients I see two possible outcomes:

1. You get the domain for the client and get no kudos because you were hired to get the domain
  2. You don't get the domain (for any number of reasons) and you are berated because you didn't do the job you were hired to do

I suppose there is a third option where negotiations start and you end up buying the domain for much more than you feel it is worth? What's that quote? "A good compromise is when both parties are dissatisfied."

I know that didn't help much but know that you're not in that boat alone. Here's hoping that your future dealings with the Domain Broker Service is better than your last. Every domain is different (they make them different on purpose). Happy domaining!

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

Unfortunately I didn't even make it as far as the domain owner, the DBS rep basically refused to even reach out to that domain owner as he determined it was a lost cause before starting. At least the refund was quick. If it had made it as far as an unresponsive owner i certainly would shift frustration but the idea that the people i'm paying don't want the work after a month of waiting is insulting. I absolutely will not use GoDaddy DBS again under any circumstance. There's plenty of other domain brokerage services out there to choose from, i only used GD because the domain was registered with them. 

View solution in original post